any1 out there in south east florida?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Ive got a double header, 2 houses, 1 property with a hive in each, Ill do it but rather would give it to some1 closer, its in Hollywood florida.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Palm Beach County Beekeepers

Coverage Area:

Services:
    Contact us for information on bees, honey, and bee removal.
    Contact Info:
    Brendhan (786) 256-9622

3. rast

rast New Member

Yep, Brendhan, good guy.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Just remove this thread, sorry but the home owner just told me he wont pay anything and theres allot of work involved so unless some1 wants to do a free bee... Im not

Attached Files:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You get'em that way quite often. I'll leave the thread just to leave Brendhan's info here.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

what more do you want after all your getting free bees :rules: :rolling:

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

zookeep writes:
    Just remove this thread, sorry but the home owner just told me he wont pay anything and theres allot of work involved

tecumseh:
    good for you zookeep. beyond the risk of importing africanized bees into your apairy and the time and the fuel there is the question of competing with folks that do change for removing bees. here the alternative to removal is a tab from the pest control folks starting at about $200. the dust they use almost invariable means the location will be recolonized come the next swarm season.

ps.. at least some folks here pricing for removing bees is $50 + $30/hour from the time they leave their house. I have heard (rumor) that a fairly well know removal person to the south of me average bill for removal (no repair to structure) runs about $500.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

But the bees are free and endangered and you would be saving the planet and and and blaaa blaaa blaaaa. Have heard it all.

Got duped one time so far, the property owner did not want to pay after I was finished and come to find out it was a miscommunication between the owner and the maint. man. They got a free one but I did make the newspaper and got 2 or 3 more calls out of it, so I guess it all worked out.

Tec you are in the ballpark for what I charge, and I will do simple repairs most of the time.

If you are not doing the repairs yourself, at least make it to where it will be a simple matter of making the repair, then most times they will ask you to do it anyway. Just my 2 cents.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I cut carefully, to make repairs easier, but I DO NOT make repairs.

My base price is 300, then I add to that for complicated colonies.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is what I bumped mine up to also, but for simple repairs it is included (no sheet rock finishing though,will nail or screw the piece I removed back in place).

I am competing with a couple of free bee takers around here now.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm teaching them how to remove and how much to charge. At 66, I want them to do all the removals. :thumbsup: :beg:

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks iddee and g3 for the added detail... i had never inquired, but now i know.

a few years ago when i got knee deep in queen rearing i decided i didn't have the time to allocate to removing colonies + rearing queen at the same time of the year so I pawned the 'take out' task to a couple of folks who were just starting up. as in all things related to bees I tried to encourage them to 'change a good price'. this follows my basic economic thinking that anything free is likely worth just that. on the other hand <economist talk like that.. don' ya' know?) if you don't feel bad about donating your time and money to folks with much more money than yourself then go ahead and do the task for nothing.

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If the folks with bees in their house want them removed for free, just ask what they do for a living and if they would be willing to donate their time and effort to you. You will always get a funny look of "you have to be kidding me, that's how I feed my family", then it usually dawns on them you are trying to do the same thing.

Now if it is some special case as a family in need then that is a different story, you will be compensated in other ways that you know nothing of ;)

14. rast

rast New Member

Thanks for putting that in there. There are always some that just flat can't afford to pay.

15. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Ive done 5 removals this year and 2 were free, but if I walk up to the house and its nice and theres a BMW or 2 in the driveway , freebee leave my list of usable words, and then theres the homeowner with the WHAT!! your gonna charge me attitude, then its best to just get back in the truck and go have a beer :lol:

16. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I have discovered that no good deed goes unpunished in some fashion or form. Did cutout and a trap-out with varying degrees of sucess the trap out is still going on, the cut-out absconded and all I got is goldenrod honey and 20 lbs of SHB larvae---wonder if they'd make good fish bait????