Anybody developed an allergic reaction after several stings?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by mjrice, Sep 6, 2011.

1. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Re: Anybody developed an allergic reaction after several sti

Yup, I did. Third year beek, fifth sting this year. Got hives all over. I talked about this in another thread. Anyway, it totally freaked me out because I thought I was getting less allergic, not more. Trying to figure out how to get an epi-pen w/o a doc visit. Will MDs give me a prescription if I say I'm a beekeeper?

2. phoochoo

phoochoo New Member

What is the most effective allergy medication for those of you who have allergies? My allergy symptoms are really bad, so I would like to know which allergy medication works best for you guys?

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

milapostol writes:
    Trying to figure out how to get an epi-pen w/o a doc visit. Will MDs give me a prescription if I say I'm a beekeeper?

tecumseh:
    here I would say without a doubt almost all doctors will give you a prescription just if you tell them you handle bees. an epi pen is not inexpensive (what doctor prescription is???) and only has a shelf life of about 1 year.

common benedryl tablets are a good option that require no prescription and will work just fine in most (minor) cases. I have NO medical experience but folks that do tell me that an epi pen is a serious form of medication and should only be used when absolutely required.

4. Bee n There

Bee n There New Member

Yes technicaly it could cause such a problem, but it is kind of an illogical argument as stopping breathing is actually more leathal than a heart attack. Also adreniline aka epinephrine is a drug that is commonally administered to people having a heart attack. it is a selective vaso-dialator which opens up constricted blood vessels in heart and major muscels. Though it is a vaso constrictor in organ muscels. I witnessed the use of adreniline first hand doing CPR on a co-worker that had a heat attack, he was technically dead twice and adreniline given by paramedic was a big factor in getting him back.

If I was alergic, had heart trouble but was determined to keep with the bees I would still want to have epi as a last resort in case of airway constriction.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Milipostal, Please----
    Don't be "penny wise and pound foolish" :beg:
    An epi pen can be an emergency treatment but is not a cure. If you intend to stick with bee-keeping, you must realize that stings are inevitable and treatment with epinephrine will eliminate the life endangering result of the allergic reaction but not cure the allergy. As a bee keeper, stings are more frequent and can come when you are not carrying your life saver in your pocket (we all forget "just once"). :roll:

You MUST go through the process of desensitization. It takes time and I suppose it also costs money, but your life is worth the investment.
    It's not a joking matter. :(

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

:goodpost:

there should be a smilie that says 'not good but a great post'.

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I've had to take my wife to the emergency room several times because of anaphylaxis (not from bees). An epi pen is not a cure. An epi pen gives her time to get to the emergency room. (It takes 30 minutes from home to get to the hospital) Hopefully no one here has an allergy that serious. But it can be life-threatening and should be taken seriously.