Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a weird thing to do, but while contemplating my bees gathered around the entrance the other day, I wondered if they would appreciate a short (maybe 3") awning that would extend out over the entrance, maybe located at around the top of the lower deep? This could be made simply from a piece of thin wood with two narrow supports tacked on to the ends.

Why? Well, I had two thoughts - (1) on hot sunny days, it would keep the entrance cooler (its painted a light color, but still gets a lot of sun) - and (2) on hot nights like we had last night, a light rain chases the bees back into the hive even though they seem to want to stay on the outside where it is cooler.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. I would suggest making each of them a small martini at sunset to ease their burdens of the day, also. :wave: :D

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Martini? Martini?!? Everyone knows it's a mint julep.

Maybe something larger to shade more of the hive? I've heard of people putting a large potted plant strategically by the hive for shade.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
We enjoy the shade on a beastly hot day and use an umbrella when it rains--why shouldn't our workers have the same privileges?
Treat them well and they'll treat you well in return. :Dancing:

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
a Jack snip..
I've put a 3 ft. by 4 ft. piece of plywood or waferboad on top of the hive with a concrete block on top of it. Jack

tecumseh:
I sometime place in the same fashion as Jack a small square of foam board on top of my baby nucs in the latter part of the summer. this seems to help with keeping these small boxes populated.

next I am thinking of building 'my girls' a two car garage which I shall fill with an assortment of junk just so they can feel like proper American honey bees.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts