Anyone ever make an awning for the front of their hive?

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by mjrice, Aug 10, 2011.

1. mjrice

mjrice New Member

This may be a weird thing to do, but while contemplating my bees gathered around the entrance the other day, I wondered if they would appreciate a short (maybe 3") awning that would extend out over the entrance, maybe located at around the top of the lower deep? This could be made simply from a piece of thin wood with two narrow supports tacked on to the ends.

Why? Well, I had two thoughts - (1) on hot sunny days, it would keep the entrance cooler (its painted a light color, but still gets a lot of sun) - and (2) on hot nights like we had last night, a light rain chases the bees back into the hive even though they seem to want to stay on the outside where it is cooler.

Thoughts?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sounds like a good idea. I would suggest making each of them a small martini at sunset to ease their burdens of the day, also. :wave: :D

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Martini? Martini?!? Everyone knows it's a mint julep.

Maybe something larger to shade more of the hive? I've heard of people putting a large potted plant strategically by the hive for shade.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I've put a 3 ft. by 4 ft. piece of plywood or waferboad on top of the hive with a concrete block on top of it. Jack

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

We enjoy the shade on a beastly hot day and use an umbrella when it rains--why shouldn't our workers have the same privileges?
    Treat them well and they'll treat you well in return. :Dancing:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a Jack snip..
    I've put a 3 ft. by 4 ft. piece of plywood or waferboad on top of the hive with a concrete block on top of it. Jack

tecumseh:
    I sometime place in the same fashion as Jack a small square of foam board on top of my baby nucs in the latter part of the summer. this seems to help with keeping these small boxes populated.

next I am thinking of building 'my girls' a two car garage which I shall fill with an assortment of junk just so they can feel like proper American honey bees.