Anyone ever use Duragilt foundation?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Indiana Dave, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

I took a chance and bought a 50 sheet box of 5 5/8" Duragilt foundation from a 'retired' beek the other day. Let me have it for $5. Duragilt is the pliable/flimsy plastic foundation coated in beeswax, in case you've never heard of it.

Just curious if any of you have used it and what you thought of it. Did you cross-wire it or use support pins? How long did it last?

:thumbsup: Thanks, Dave

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Yes, I used it. You cannot wire, crosswire or reuse Duragilt. If you bend or kink the metal sidebars throw it out. If the wax coating comes off, which it does easily, the bees will never touch it again. If you extract go twice as slow as you normally would. If you can sell it or give it away to someone you do not know or like load for them and wave when they drive off with the crap.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

this use to be 'the new thing' in beekeeping and in truth it does save a lot of time in putting together a box of frames. it was the original product that gave plastic a bad name in the beekeeping world.

I look at these issues a bit differently myself. I suspect that if you place duraguilt onto a hive at the proper time when bees are looking to drawn a lot of comb they will pull it out with no problem (which is basically anytime around or at the front side of a flow). put it into a hive at the improper time and you will get a mess <you could pretty much make the same observation about any kind of foundation material from pure wax to the newer plastic based foundation.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

For $5 ???
    I would try it in a few frames and see how it goes. You don't get much for $5 anymore so the price was sure right.
    As my late father-in-law used to say, "for free the sun shines".
    I would take that gamble.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I am on the fence about plastic foundation. I saw Duragilt on a supply site this weekend. There was a disclaimer about the wax falling off. Too bad it wasn't deep size so you could just reserve it for nucs or trap-out nucs.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i had to laugh when i read gary's reply....
    especially this part-
    "If you can sell it or give it away to someone you do not know or like load for them and wave when they drive off with the crap.".......:lol:

yes i have used it, won't use it even it was free, and i did have someone try to give me a box of it....
    imho, if one wants to try wax coated plastic foundation, pierco is the best, and it is all i use now to replace frames.

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I jumped over the fence to the plastic side...gonna give Rite-cell a chance. Ordered 60 frames/foundations today.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I use Permadent wax coated plastic.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

permadent?!......now that is a good name for plastic wax coated foundation......:lol:

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my preference (if I have enough time) is still wood frames, tensioned horizontal wire and just plain old foundation. everything else I can pretty much say I have tried and you can with the proper timing make any option work.

11. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I tried some Duragilt last year. I put it in the hive at the beginning of the flow and it was drawn out for the most part. I didn't have any trouble with wax falling off, but the bees did move some of it. And, as stated above, once the wax was moved off of the plastic that was it. They won't go back and fill the gaps. I wouldn't call it a waste, but I don't plan to buy any more. I'm with Tec . . . from now on I think it will be wood, wire, and wax for me.

12. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Thanks for all of the replies. I took a chance, knew that going in but didn't know how well it was "liked" :wink: I put it in 20 frames and will do as Tec said and put it on when they are really drawing out comb. And as Perry stated, the price was right, I just hope that I don't lose too much time replacing it in the supers if they don't draw it out.

This is my fourth year and I look at each year as a learning experience. I learn more from my mistakes and failures than I do from my successes.