Anyone Had Trouble With Feeding?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DOrr, Jan 13, 2010.

1. DOrr

DOrr New Member

My bees all but quit eating the syrup I gave them. With their honey stores so low from the bad season last year I'm a little concerned. The freeze we've had I'm sure has a lot to do with it but they gotta eat! I'm giving them honey when it warms up, so maybe that"ll help. Anyone else had this problem?

2. Vance

Vance New Member

You may have to feed dry sugar (mountain camp method) this time of year. My understanding is unless the syrup is above 50 degrees they wont use it. I've found this to be true for the most part.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

they will not want to pick up cold syrup even if they can get to it.

what kind of feeder are you using?

4. DOrr

DOrr New Member

I've been using a hive top feeder. They sure came after the honey though. I'll give the dry sugar a test and see how they do.Should I use powdered od granulated, or does it matter? Thanks for the info.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

DOrr, i use one sheet of newspaper(on top of the frames,) with about a one inch opening in the front and back for bee access. I pour a layer of GRANULATED sugar on top and use a squirt bottle with water to lightly wet the sugar, then put another layer on top of the first layer and so on untill i've got 15 to 20 lbs of sugar on top of the frames(in the top box above the cluster). The sugar will cake up from the water and the moister inside the hive. If you have screen bottomboards, i cut a thin piece of cardboard and slide it on top of it to catch any sugar that might fall through. The only problem i've had with the mountain camp method, is not putting enough sugar on the first time around. The bees will eat the sugar and newspaper, and if you have to add more sugar you have to cut pieces of newspaper to close all the gaps before you can add more. This is my first year of feeding the mountain camp method, (always used fondant before) and it is going well. Hope this helps. Jack

6. Walt B

Walt B New Member

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

WaltB, Yes that's what i've been doing. I foregot to mention the shim for space, i use a empty super for more room, it depends on how much sugar you want to put on. So far it's been a bee saver for me, i had some light hives going into winter because of all the fall rain we had, and they are still kicking. :thumbsup: Jack

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

plain sugar, syrup (thick and thin) and honey will do different things in regards to the bee's biology. I find the feed's proximity to the brood nest is extremely important also.

I typically think of plain sugar as 'emergency' rationing feed. the first time I ever fed plain sugar (for a large commercial operation) we just poured the sugar in one side of the box after removing one frame. it was a strategy for keeping the bees alive for a very short duration of time when you didn't have feeders for individual hives. by and large most of our feeding at the time was 'pot' feeding (the pots were 55 gallon drums with the heads removed).

9. DOrr

DOrr New Member

I'm going out today to give this a try. I appreciate the advice. Just when you think you've got it figured out, ...curve ball! I want to mention our county chapter is having a free beginners short course. For anyone that's interested, it starts Jan. 30th, you can find the info. on our website or @ www.McDowellHoneybees.org.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

every new season is a new curve ball? god willin' perhaps we will all be able to see a few more.

good luck....