Anyone harvesting tomatoes?

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by srvfantexasflood, Jul 4, 2010.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

It's the Fourth of July and is anyone harvesting tomatoes yet? I always consider myself fortunate when I have tomatoes on or before the 4th.
    As for me, I have picked only a few cherry tomatoes from a pot on the deck.

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Not from my beehives I'm not. :)

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Have had them for several weeks, with the lack of rain they are just about all dead.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

My tomatoes are all green and about the size of large chicken eggs....still a couple weeks to go here at least.
    A heat wave is upon us- temps in the 90's all this coming week. Glad my hives are ventilated!

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Been picking them for about 2 weeks. Cucumbers and squash for about 3 weeks.

6. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Had a relatiively cool and wet spring. We started picking at the end of May. They're still producing quite well. Aside from eating fresh, have lots of Marinara Sauce and Tomato Juice. :D

Walt

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Been picking about two weeks at the house, the 600 plants in the field are just now putting on. I went to visit the venders at the Farmers Market last wed. and couldn't believe they were selling tomato's for $2.75 to $3.00 a lb. and people were standing in line. My sweet corn will be ready around the 14th and one vender had some and sold out the first 10 min. at $5.00 a dozen. I had several people ask me when i was coming and when i would have honey. I can't believe the prices they are charging, but then my wife does the grocery shopping. :confused: Jack

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you are going to make a killing then, glad to hear it cause it is hard work that most will not do.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i picked 4 tomatoes 6 cucumbers and a sack of sweet corn out of my garden saturday morning. I didnt put a drop of water on it and havent even pulled a weed. matter of fact its growing on asphalt this year. yep thats right took these easy way out going to pick more next saturday morning at the farmers market where the pickins good :yahoo: :Dancing:

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Riverrat, are the prices at your farmers market in line with my previous post? I thought that $5.00 a doz. for sweet corn was out of line, but i done some figuring. Sweet corn seed $11.00 a pound, (10 pounds per acre) Fertilizer $36.00 a hundred # for 13-13-13 ( 300 pounds per acre), gasoline for tractor (plowing, discing, cultivate (3 times) spray for ear worms $135.00 a gal, upkeep on tractor and equipment, taxes on land and not paying myself a wage. :confused: Hmmm, you know rat, you may have the right idea. :thumbsup: Jack

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

sweet corn was 4 ears for a dollar tomatoes 2.00 lb cucumbers 3 for a dollar. Yep and all I have to do is walk thru and pick the veggies I want. I enjoy gardening but just dont have the time anymore.

12. Omie

Omie New Member

I picked my first tomatoes this morning....3 little golden cherry tomatoes! :D
    I have lots of green tomatoes of all kinds about to ripen, though....looks like a good year for tomatoes for me... finally after 3 bum tomato years in a row!

13. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Omie- your overdue. I bet those tomatoes taste great!

14. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Had tomatoes on the vine since May just just picked my first red ones last week. Been picking beans, squash (green & yellow), and cucumbers since 2 week in June. My daughter like the pictures of the egg plant so I have been picking those nasty things too (chickens like them).

15. riverrat

riverrat New Member

just picked a fine selection of heirloom tomatos from a guy down the roads stand 1.00 lb cant grow'em for that. and you cant beat the flavor of a good heirloom

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I bought 6 tomato plants for 2.00. Used about 2 lb. of fert. at 14 cent per lb. We have canned 10 pints of juice, eaten tomatoes for a couple of weeks, and plan to can 14 pints today.

17. Omie

Omie New Member

Here's a little video I took today, walking around in my vegetable garden. Also some bee hive shots towards the end, of my two hives:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB7wvB7szJk
    We ate out first cucumber and some cherry tomatoes in our dinner salad tonight. The first big tomato will be ripe tomorrow. :)