Anyone hear about this?

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Medic1259, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like the field hands knew what to do. doesn't triage generally imply that you do not have the resources so that everyone may survive? thereby suggesting that someone needs to die?

oddly enough in my mind a honeybee (no matter it's continent of origin) is the easiest creature in the world to kill.

3. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Yes and No. Triage is used for what is called an MCI ( Mass Casualty Incident). There could be anywhere from 0 to hunderds of paients. Its used to cordinate resources , treatment , and transport of paients. In the end there maybe no one at all who even are injured just the potential that someone may be injured.

tecumseh , you think a regular honeybee or an Africanized Honeybee? Are they in Az?

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks for the explanation on triage.. which I think of as battle field medical strategy for some reason.

as to africanized honey bee... I myself think (based on some reading and a good deal of personal experience) the africanized honey bee has been here a lot longer that some folks seem to want us to believe. some of the bee genome work reinforces this 'notion' since after the dna map was completed science folks are now telling us that 'the european honey bee' came out of africa in three emigration waves. prior to this dna based science the same bee origin was thought to have been sw Asia (I suspect due to the number of related species). <so what we know from the science folks has altered the story somewhat all based on current dna knowledge.

all along the sw US in what I consider to be the desert or brush country an africanized honey bee just has a distinct natural advantage. therefore in the brush country of Texas or the desert Southwest any attack is more likely to be an africanized bee than a european honey bee.

having said this and based on what I have read and personal experience... prior to the days of modern breeding schemes the european honey bee could be an extremely hostile little creature. folks like myself (and Jack) who's original experience with a honeybee was with 'german black bees' know this quite well and without reservation.

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I'm confused (but that's not rare!). They were working in what I assume is a field that has been used for a while. So it seems that if a hive was built, it would have been noticed at some time along the line. I thought that bees were docile unless the hive was threatened. Do AFB foragers travel in swarms or did they disturb a hive? Do AFB build in the ground? A cauliflower field doesn't seem like it would have a favorable place for the bees to build a hive. I'm not doubting the story, but it just seems to me that something isn't adding up.

6. rast

rast New Member

Without knowing more facts, all is supposition about hive location at this time. But it is possible there was tool shed or pump house or other structure there that was finally disturbed.
    Yes, AHB will build in an existing cavity in the ground, but I have never heard of one in a dirt hole in the ground. It would have to be structurally sound enough to support comb building. Usually it's a man made box down here, but they have rocks there I suppose, just not in a tilled field.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

in much of the southwest where cavities in trees are rare... as are the trees themselves... bees (of both african or european origin) will often build hives in rock faces. a bit closer to home oftentimes a hive of bees located in a water meter will turn out to be africanized.

8. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

You're correct there, Tecumseh. That's where it originated and it's simply prioritizing medical care when the need for medical intervention outweighs the "manpower" (or "womanpower" :grin:) available at the time to provide it.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Working for the Springfield, Mo. Fire Dept. (on the Rescue & salvage squad) I had many triage situations,wrecks with four or more victims, and only two of us.( EMT's) After 8 yrs. and to many sleepless nights, wondering if you done the right thing or if you could have done better? i tested off, and made Engineer. Sorry to vent, but i hate the word Triage and having to do it. Jack