Anyone hear of Ross Conrad?

Discussion in 'Organic Beekeeping' started by srvfantexasflood, Nov 23, 2009.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Yesterday our local bee club had a special meeting with a guest speaker. Ross Conrad, from Vermont, spoke about organic beekeeping and controlling varroa mites. He has written a book entitled Natural Beekeeping Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture. Has anyone heard of him before? I bought his book and have gotten the first few pages read before falling asleep. To read more about Ross you can go to http://www.chelseagreen.com and do a search.

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I may have met him or heard him speak at a VT mtng. But I don't know him. Looks interesting. VT has a number of interesting and good beekeepers, Mike Palmer and Kirk Webster come to mind.

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Yes, I have his book.

4. naurot

naurot New Member

I bought his book twice (I misplaced it once). Like the book very much. He spoke at our local club, and he was very interesting. I know some people dislike him because he's not their kind of organic beekeeper, but I thought he gave a good overview in his book.

5. SoMDBeekeeper

SoMDBeekeeper New Member

I actually interviewed him a few weeks ago for two episodes of, "The Organically Managed Beekeeping Podcast" which I host. I had fun with it and enjoyed the info he shared. Ross is a great guy. Listen to the episodes if you get time, its worth it!

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

One of the groups I belong too, is hoping to hear him speak next year as they want to pay to have him come in. Big Bucks for ane hour worth of talk. I hope it certainly is better worth the money than the last big costing speaker they paid for.... ;)

7. srvfantexasflood

Well, every one seemed to enjoy his lecture. A lot of questions were asked by the newbies and old timers. A lot of books were sold as well, even to the old timers. By old timers I mean individuals who have been beekeeping for many years. For this event, they combined a local and an overlapping regional club to defray the cost.

8. Brad Hames

Brad Hames New Member

Wish I could've been there, Conrad always has a lot of great info. Was it recorded?

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have been to one of his lectures about 3 years ago. It cost me around $186 at the time.
    He comes up here (Nova Scotia) once a year and puts on the same lecture. They added a day and the cost is now in the $330 range.
    It was informative from a philosophical point of view and there were some pieces of information that I found interesting.
    If you have been keeping bees for a couple of years though, I don't know if the information you would add to your memory bank would justify the expenditure, nothing really new.
    He is a very nice guy and if you are interested in beekeeping philosophically, this might be for you, but if you are simply looking for solid beekeeping basics I think the information is out there to be had at a more nominal fee.

10. ScoobyDoBee

ScoobyDoBee New Member

His book was one of the first I purchased and one of the few available on organic beekeeping - at lest at that time. (Also have IDIOT'S Guide to Beekg - easier to filter through.).

I keep an eye out for info from him - and anyone who is willing to swim upstream. His philosophy, what I've gleaned so far, makes sense to me.

11. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

Ross is a regular article contributer to Bee Culture magazine as well. He's got some interesting ideas, I'll give him that.

12. clinch

clinch New Member

Do you mean to say the book put you to sleep or just that you were reading before bed? :)

13. hiveatyourhome

hiveatyourhome New Member

Managed to get on his list to buy a couple Nucs coming up, will let you know next spring how that worked out. Innovative thoughts on IPM/"natural" low treatment approach. Nice perspective; I'm of the treatment free approach but like to surround my bee thought with those how think long and hard about bees ESPECIALLY if they have completely different answers than what I'm attempting.

14. srvfantexasflood

15. srvfantexasflood

It means I am probably sleep deprived enough that ANY book would put me to sleep. TV too.

16. Omie

Omie New Member

I've gone to (and paid for) a few beekeeping classes and lectures. Also banjo workshops and camps over the years. As Perry points out, after a couple of years of hands on experience, there is a lot of beginner info at such classes that one knows already, so if they are expensive courses then it makes more sense to first ascertain that you are at the learning level the course is aimed towards.

17. srvfantexasflood

I guess that is one of the perks of belonging to a bee club. The event was paid for by the club. I gladly pay my dues. The benefits and knowledge far out weight the small fee. I also contribute to various fund raisers in any manner that I can. The monthly newsletter alone is worth the membership fee. It's full of great reminders and tips.
    Also, I have met a lot of great people through the club.