Anyone Know the Answer?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Sep 23, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

On many occasions i have extracted honey supers that were above the excluder, only to my surprise to find drone brood on the bottom part of some of the frames :confused: I have also found drone brood on the bottom of my comb honey super frames that were above the excluder:confused:.My 86 yr. old beekeeping buddy says, strong hives that are stacked high will have laying workers and the hive allows them to do so? Years ago when it first happened ( and i was new to beekeeping) i thought it was a new superseded queen that got through the excluder or top entrance, layed a few eggs and went back down through the excluder. I'm inclined to agree with my buddy, the only other thing that i can think of is the workers moving the eggs above the excluder, but i think that would be unlikely, or is it :confused: Jack

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I agree with your buddy other than it only being "stacked" hives. I have read over the years, and believe, there are instances of laying workers in all healthy hives, regardless of size. It is just kept under control in a queenrite hive.