Anyone make their own decapping tray.

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by Yankee11, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I am thinking positive here. :grin:

I am going to need a decapping tray this 2nd year. I like making things myself.

Does anyone have pictures and plans for making one?

Also the decapping knives? Go ahead and purchase the 120 volt electric style?

Thanks

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

How big of an extractor how many frames does it extract at once. That is the min storage size for uncapped frames ready to be extracted. Need more info extractor size, electric or hand crank, plain, hot knife capping scratchier. just decap or decap and hold frames for next load?

3. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I have a 9 frame radial extractor. Hand crank right now but will probably add the motor in future. I still have to buy a knife. Currently 7 hives so hopefully, maybe 14 supers to extract.

I did some searching and saw people using stainless steel sinks. Im thinking of buying one of those white plastic sinks with the legs from big box stores. Put a screen about 3 or 4 inches from the bottom and run a pipe from the drain to a bucket. These sinks are deep and would hold a lot of cappings.
    Make a piece of wood with a screw sticking up for the frames. Mount it across the top of the sink.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

A set of legs on a double sink uncap over one sink and hold frames in super over 2nd sink to catch drips tie both drains together. If the super to hold the uncapped frames is bigger than the sink boll use a piece of flashing 2" larger than the super, First put it on the bottom and bend each side up 1". Second cut a hole in the bottom 2" smaller than the sink size slit the corners on the 45* and bend the 4 tabs down into the sink. you will have enough room to extract and place the frames that will be dripping honey until you can place them in the extractor.
    Used sinks can be found for a few dollars at yard sales, auctions, used goods stores, junk dealers, or a local add some one will call.

5. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

6. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Small scale extraction

I have a 9 frame electric radial extractor.

As one batch of frames is spinning, I uncap another 9. I hang the uncapped frames in a plastic rectangular storage box which has a wooden bar supporting one set of frame lugs. The other set of lugs rest on the end of the box. Drips from the frames are periodically scraped into a tub.

I hope this makes sense. -- :grin:

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

in the not so distant past I did use a ss sink for uncapping (I also obtained a very used ss table from a commercial kitchen and I had the sink set into the top of this table). I had stainer baskets on the double sink without any waste lines attached and caught the dripping honey in kitchen pots. I inserted a ss mesh in the stainer basket to remove most of the wax and such from the honey. the largest pot in your kitchen would likely be better than the small pots I used since I had to watch these closely to keep them from overflowing. I haven't used this set up in a good while but I seem to recall I could do about two boxes of frames before 'the other sink' was full of uncapped frames. the entire set up is in my yard now and I use it to rinse out buckets and such.

I also had two large ss mesh baskets with 'telescoping handles' (purchased from wal mart) that are sold to set in kitchen sinks to hold vegetable trimming and such. I uncapped directly into these long oval wire baskets and this would slightly elevate the capping from the sink itself allowing them to drain nicely.

actually the whole affair worked ok if you did not have too much to process at one time.