Anyone want to take a really really exciting trip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by barry42001, Mar 20, 2010.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Hey this is the ultimate in adventure decending from 11000 feet ( La Paz Bolivia--to Yungas, Bolivia about at about 600 ft in approx 60 miles )-no guard rails here and at about 8000ft jungle fog is produced just to make it a bit more exciting.

Attached Files:

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

hmmm, I'll have to pass....my hubby made me promise to stop putting my life in danger on purpose when I resigned the fire department job :p

3. rast

rast New Member

Not unless I can drive!

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My NC dirt roads aren't so bad after all.

5. XLB

XLB New Member

6. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Beekeeping is enough of an adventure for me!

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I am with you baby beek. People drive crazy enough around here on the interstate let alone something like that.

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

ohh come on, feel the thrill, get take the challange--be adventurous--the adrelelin rush--as a thought--over 400 people die each year on this road mostly buses and lorriers going over the side. P.S. There is now a new paved actual 2 lane road that replaces this one--still open to cycle traffic--still lose 30 - 40 people a year.
    Barry

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

few more pics[attachment=3:3ual9fdk]on your life alittle rain will fall well actually alittle river.jpg[/attachment:3ual9fdk][attachment=2:3ual9fdk]another that didn't make it--pic taken from same road above.jpg[/attachment:3ual9fdk][attachment=1:3ual9fdk]paying attention details.jpg[/attachment:3ual9fdk][attachment=0:3ual9fdk]opps!!!.jpg[/attachment:3ual9fdk]

Attached Files:

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

not quite the same altitude but some year back I did a similar 'adventure' down in the Copper Canyon are of Mexico. kind of gave ya' that yee haw... it a good day to die feelin'. the yellow school bus we were ridding dropped down almost a mile in a fairly short distance into a small village where Poncho hid out his army back during the Mexican Revolution. the vehicles 'passed' at the switch backs. I was happy not to be driving.

11. Charles

Charles New Member

Reminds me of a story...a few years back we picked up my wifes god mother (Archie) to bring her over for thanksgiving. She has a beautiful place in the mountains . The area is filled with coal mines and the ground is covered with a black sooty dirt that is incredibly slick when wet. The road going up to her place is really steep with switch backs all the way up...no guard rails.

Well it was a sunny day and the snow was melting, we made it up no problem but on the way down I started feeling the truck go sideways every time I tapped the brake! The tires had packed with mud, I remember looking over the side at the 1000 foot drop offs and thinking 'today could be the day, it's been a good life' The lady's were chatting away completely unaware I was about to kill us all.

We were picking up speed even in low gear, no brakes, and headed for a curve in the road that fell over to at least a 300 or 400 ft drop off. I was white knuckle steering when I noticed some rocks along the side of the road (probably for drainage) I swerved over that way and was using them to help knock some mud from the tires. I just made that curve :)

It was smooth sailing all the way after that, but one of my scarier moments ;-)

12. CentralPAGuy

CentralPAGuy New Member

Thanks for sharing the pics of your trip. I am not sure that I could handle that type of excitement. So how many tourists don't return from these trips... lol

13. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

actually the road takes, on average 300 to 400 people per year, to meet thier maker