Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked out the last bee yard on my list last evening to house my hives on and found it was a perfect location. However, I have one slight concern and it has to do with how close the hives will be to the highway - 20m away. Will this pose an issue for the bees being so close to the highway?

The Ontario regulations state hives need to be at least 10m from a highway.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I don't see how it would pose an issue. I might worry some about the county and/or state mowing that close or spraying for weeds. I did run through a swarm on the interstate one day at about 60 MPH.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Last year, a friend of mine had 50+ hives in the field of buckwheat next to Hwy # 401. No issues.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont think our municipality sprays weeds, I've only seen the ditches mowed by tractor every now and then. I'll have a look into it.

As for vandals, the bee yard is on private property and is hidden from view from the highway.

Running through that swarm must have sucked!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I had a cab driver I knew come up to me a couple of years ago saying "I drove by your hives over at Krispi Kraut and drove through a cloud of bees. I had to pull over and clean them out from under my wipers they were so thick"! These hives were at least 20 metres off the road. What I discovered later was he had drilled a low flying swarm that had issued from one of my hives. :sad:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Perry, if you ever get a bee yard next to a sausage plant, I'll think you got german genes:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts