Apple Bee Tree

Discussion in 'Bees' started by jb63, Jan 29, 2013.

1. jb63

jb63 New Member

apple tree 001.JPG apple tree 002.JPG apple tree 003.JPG

Here's a bee tree at a farm I rent.:shock:

Attached Files:

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Are the bees still alive in the tree? It is kind of hard to check it for stores of treat for mites.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice height to work from if you're going to do a trap-out! :mrgreen:

4. jb63

jb63 New Member

They are still in there.My plan is to screw a wax ring and abs toilet flange over the hole and pipe it into a hive.Kind of add another room on to their house.

5. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

cool, we have a tree that looks this way; minus the bees i mean!

6. jb63

jb63 New Member

flange adapter 002.JPG flange adapter 001.JPG flange adapter 003.JPG I think this is going to work.The parts cost 10 dollars from the depot.

7. jb63

jb63 New Member

flange adapter 005.JPG flange adapter 009.JPG flange adapter 008.JPG flange adapter 004.JPG flange adapter 007.JPG They were pretty good about letting me work on their house.A few lookers came out to watch but were not aggressive. I'm going to leave them alone for a few days then add a deep box on to the pipe.I have a deep box that the sides bowed in a half inch so I drilled a hole in it tonight when I got home.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Nothing beats the initianitive and originality of a determined beekeeper. Picture 2 in Post #7 looks like you're going to pour the honey out of that tree.

9. jb63

jb63 New Member

I didn't want the rain to pour back into the tree, so I heated the pipe with a torch then bent it down.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I've heard of tapping trees for maple syrup, but this is the first time I've heard of tapping a tree for honey! :thumbsup:

11. jb63

jb63 New Member

We had some warm weather move in, I think thru Sunday. So I added the box. apple bee tree 003.JPG apple bee tree 002.JPG apple bee tree 001.JPG I think it got up to 51 deg.

12. jb63

jb63 New Member

apple bee tree 008.JPG apple bee tree 006.JPG apple bee tree 007.JPG I added a 22.5 deg.elbow and a piece of 1/8 in.screen as a ramp.

13. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Good idea for a cone base using a toilet rough in flange. A person could make a wire cone and clamp it to the pipe coupler with a hose clamp and the wax ring you used as a seal can also be bought that are made of sponge rubber so it would seal irregular surfaces, but be removable with out leaving a mess of wax behind and saved and reused.
    This could be posted in use of house hold items thread also.

14. jb63

jb63 New Member

work 015.JPG work 012.JPG We had another sunny day they are gathering hazel nut pollen.I put some grass in front of their door so they will re-orient their front door:to_keep_order:

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Are there frames inside the box? Is the idea to hopefully lure the queen out of the tree and into the box with comb in it? I have heard of this being tried before, in fact I think 2kooldad was doing one until it got vandalized.
    Keep us informed. :thumbsup:

16. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I did it once this past year, I used 2 boxes with a queen excluder between them, the idea is that the queen had to come out of the trap out at some point and go into the upper box and not be able to get out, the lower box had a queen in it so the workers were never compelled to build queen cells, it worked very well, just put a small screen cone at the end of the pipe inside the box.

17. jb63

jb63 New Member

That sounds good Zoo,but I have to wait till April for some good weather.Rite now I'm just getting them use to a new way of coming and going.I put three frames of back-filled honey in so they won't go hungry.We don't have shb so I can get away with it.I got the idea from the Cleo Hogan trap.The ABS pipe is just cheap and easy.When the weather gets better I'll steal some eggs from one of my other hives and add them to the box.

18. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

:coolphotos:thanks for sharing!

very cool......not sure apis how you would treat for mites in a tree? just me, i don't treat.

post an update on that jb63, what's going on in there!

19. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Looks like you're doing good. And the pictures you posted contain some great ideas, thanks for sharing.

20. jb63

jb63 New Member

Your welcome River and Bama.They found or chewed a hole in the wax ring so half were using the box and the others were using the tree base.I caulked around the tree and that seems to have plugged the leak.If the weather is nice I'll take some more pics.This is after all a bee pic.thread.