Apple sauce!

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Omie, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Omie

Omie Active Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

New York State does have the BEST apples! I lived in various places around the state as I was growing up and remember picking apples and my mother fixing them as you are. Mmm...taste memories. :)

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

When my tree produces, I, too, make applesauce! Unfortunately, I do not have a helper, and it is usually an all-day affair, trying to do all things at once. My sister gave me one of those WONDERFUL hand-crank peelers, and after a day of that, I call to thank her for the best present ever.

How do you make chunky sauce? I put mine through a strainer, and then add cooked apple chunks later, which is WAY too much work.

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Thanks, Omie! I need to try that. To think I've been boiling, straining, then cooking for all these years. Of course, I have an awesome strainer.

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I miss apple trees! My hubby and kids LOVE apple season back home...apple sauce, apple pies for the freezer (and table), apple butter, apple cakes, fried apples with supper, apple dumplings, apple fritters, spiced apple rings are so pretty in the jars fresh from the canner, gingerbread pancakes with apple syrup, apple cider, and dried apples for winter teas.

I don't know if I've ever had apples from New York. I honestly never thought about them growing there.

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Sure thing Omie...it's an old recipe that my grandmother gave me along with her recipes for spiced apple sticks and ginger apples. I'll warn you though...it's not exactly health food, but it sure is tasty and absolutely beautiful in jars.

15-20 medium sized apples
    6c sugar
    3c water
    1 8-10 oz package of red cinnamon candies
    optional- a few drops of red food coloring

Wash and peel apples then cut crosswise into 1/4 in slices (i personally like mine just a bit thicker). Cut out the core with a spoon or melon baller. Place the apple rings in salt water solution (3tbs salt to 4 quarts water) or an ascorbic or citric acid solution to prevent discoloration.

Combine sugar, water, cinnamon candies, and food color if used in a large kettle or stove top dutch oven. Bring to a boil; boil for 3 minutes stirring constantly.

Drain apples; rinse well; add to syrup. Cook until apples are tender and nearly translucent... around 5 minutes.

Pack apple rings into 4 hot pint jars. Pour syrup over apples, filling to within 1/2" of the jar top. Wipe jar rim; adjust lids.

Process in boiling water bath for 25 minutes. Start to count processing time when water in canner returns to boiling. Remove jars and complete seals.

We always had those with pork roast or pork chops or smoked venison. When I was little and more ornery than anyone ever ought to be I used to sneak jars out of the pantry and sit under the mulberry tree with my little brother snacking away.

7. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

Scribbling this recipe as fast as I can, since someone we all know and love brought me a tow sack full of apples this afternoon.

This sounds so good, I can't wait to try it out! Thanks for sharing, :)

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

y'all are more than welcome...my grandmother's old recipes are such treasures to me that I love to share them.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Omie writes:
    I think we have about the best apples in the world here in New York state.

tecumseh:
    the best apples like the best watermelons are those stolen by young boys no matter where they are grown.

I can recall folks (generally organized around some church) back in West 'by God' Virginia cooking up apple butter as a means of raising money. all I can recall is them cooking the stuff up in flat pans (maybe cooper?) and the smell that hung in the air.

10. Hobie

Hobie New Member

When I was in college, I used to bicycle home at the end of the school year... from New Hampshire to Connecticut, stopping to stay with friends along the way. The best apple tree in the world grew at about lunch-break time from my starting point, and was close enough that I could pick one without leaving the pavement. Mmmm... Memories!

11. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

Mmmm! But, stupid question...Do you need to stir it during that 12-24 hours? (I think I'll try this!)

12. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

Thanks! :D

I love my crockpot and use it quite often, so I'd be comfortable leaving it for that long. (It's not new, but it's in excellent condition still. ;) )

My house will smell wonderful this weekend...

13. Marbees

Marbees Member

Omie, if understood correctly you first make your apple sauce, then move it to the slow cooker to evaporate slowly until it has consistency of butter. Right? Thanks