Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
You should try to find a local bee club to join, most are more than willing to teach what they know.
I will look around to see if I can find one close to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
G3farms said:
http://aikenbeekeepers.org/default.aspx

Looks like there is a very good club in your area, that is the link to it and there is even a mentor in your town, check them out.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
You are most welcome, hope you will hang around here also, there are many with much knowledge and willing to share.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
UB4257 nice to see you on the forum. Im sure you can find you a good local mentor. But above all remember the mentor will not be at your side at all times so I would recommend READ READ READ, post questions and answers on the forum not only helps other but tests your knowlege on general beekeeping when you answer. And there is no better confidence builder when you answer a question and other forum members pat you on the back with a post saying good advise. Hope to see you active. And remember there has never been a dumb question asked or a smart question that wasnt asked. Hope to see you around the board. oh yes did i mention to READ :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
riverrat said:
UB4257 nice to see you on the forum. Im sure you can find you a good local mentor. But above all remember the mentor will not be at your side at all times so I would recommend READ READ READ, post questions and answers on the forum not only helps other but tests your knowlege on general beekeeping when you answer. And there is no better confidence builder when you answer a question and other forum members pat you on the back with a post saying good advise. Hope to see you active. And remember there has never been a dumb question asked or a smart question that wasnt asked. Hope to see you around the board. oh yes did i mention to READ :D
thank you very much. i have a few books. and some equipment. starting slow. and hope to do my best. thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
Welcome, Just remimber you can't learn to swim unless you get in the water. I recall my father telling me "Dang it boy do something even if you do it wrong". So get yer feet wet come spring and get some bees and you'll be surprised at what they will teach you. Jim

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
ub writes:
3-3.5 hours.

tecumseh:
just for what it is worth... there are two times in my life that I had the opportunity to go and work for commercial concerns. if you can get the basic via reading and have good protective gear these are exceptional opportunities to learn more in a shorter time frame than most folks could even imagine. a condensed and intensive learning experience. any personal connection you can make in the process is like 'green stamps' or gravy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tecumseh said:
ub writes:
3-3.5 hours.

tecumseh:
just for what it is worth... there are two times in my life that I had the opportunity to go and work for commercial concerns. if you can get the basic via reading and have good protective gear these are exceptional opportunities to learn more in a shorter time frame than most folks could even imagine. a condensed and intensive learning experience. any personal connection you can make in the process is like 'green stamps' or gravy.
thanks. i have equipment. a small hive. everything included. books. no bees.just want some hands on. and ive got a number for a person in my area. so im going to start there. thanks

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
If you can swing it start out with two hives, you can compare them to see if one is dwindling down. If one goes queenless for some reason the other hive can donate a frame of eggs for them to start an emergency queen cell.

·
Registered
78 Posts
tecumseh, do you know low long it's been since I heard anybody use "green stamps" as a metaphor :wave:

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
yep!! I can remember also, putting them in the little books and then going to the green stamp store to trade them in on something. My Dad smoked cigars and I would collect the cigar bands, staple them into stacks of 10 and mail them off for stuff. That is how I got my first fishing rod and reel.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Eagle Stamps & Top Value were big in the Midwest !!

Murrell

Still remember the taste of that glue !!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts