Archery at the World Masters Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SlickMick, Oct 20, 2009.

1. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

In response to Iiddee's pm here is an update on the archery tournament component of the WMG.

After last Saturday being the practice and registration day, the tournament got off to a flying start on Sunday with half the competitors shooting the field event and half shooting the target event. My mate Allan and I started in the target event shooting the 60 to 70 age group and shooting out to 60 metres. Each day was split into 2 so that a quarter of the competitors shot in the morning and a quarter in the afternoon. After 2 days I had shot a pb by 1 point (1363/1440) and finished 4th.

Then on the Tuesday came the first field event AND the wind gustin to 70 km/hour and bad enought for the event to be halted at one stage. Those who went to Woollongong for the FITA field were protected by the dense bush on the course but those who were shooting the IFAA field were exposed on a very open ground on the Sydney Olympic Site. Some of us had to shoot off our knees at times to try and get a shot off. Needless to say the event was poorly shot and those of us who shot the IFAA course were glad to go to Woollongong the next day. I finished 5th in my age group with a personal worst score (not saying what :cry: )

At last a day off on Thursday and the clout to be shot on Friday.

We woke up to another day of gale force winds and for those of you who dont know how the clout is shot, you are aiming at a white thing about as big as a laptop computer at 200 yards distance. Being so far distant means that you cant take a direct sight on the target and use a periscope contraption that allows you to elevate your bow and use a reflected image as an aiming point. I was quite hopeful of doing well in this event as it is one of my favourites but again I was unable to handle the wind. Again a personal worst :roll:

The indoors event was shot on last Saturday and I can't blame the conditions for shooting poorly, they were perfect.. just a few brain fades that cost me too many points to be anywhere near the lead. I did however have a hot finish that gave me heart for the next comp

So apart from a few disappointing efforts from myself, it was a great week of archery. The thing I like about events such as these is that they allow you to catch up with people from all over the place with whom you've shot before. Next year my mate Allan and I are heading off to Germany for the IFAA World Field Championships in Dahn.

Already I know at least half a dozen others from other parts of the world who will be there so I am really looking forward to that

There you go Iidee, I hope that settles your curiosity. I did take a camera but when I went to take pics it was dead!!!!!

Mick

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Thanks... There are a lot of archers and wannabees here, so we want to know when a pal is shooting.

3. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

I keep forgetting that the US probably has more archers than we have people :)

Mick

4. Charles

Charles New Member

Nice write-up thanks for the update Mick

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Glad to hear you had a good time, thats what it is all about anyway and maybe some bragging rights.

Shooting at a target at 200 yards would be pretty impressive, that sounds like shooting high power rifles at 1000 yard targets, tough but very doable.

G3

6. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

As I understand it that part of archery derived from the battles between the English and the French when the English Longbow was the machine gun of the era with around 6 arrows a minute being released by the English archers. All the companies of archers had to do was release their arrows high into the air in a storm of arrows that rained down on their enemies as they attempted to close the gap.

The modern game is not interested in the storm of arrows but in trying to hit the clout which sometimes looks like a porcupine after a particularly good end of shooting and the ground around looks like a little forest of arrows.

Mick

7. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Very interesting. I'm not into archery (I do hunt deer with a bow), but it sounds like a blast.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I can't pull mine back any more, but I still like to hear about it. Like to know what our members are doing, too.