Are mice a problem?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by LilWilli, Nov 27, 2009.

1. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

Do mice normally chew foundation?....I have hives to store and did not desire a nasty surprise.
    Thanks
    Rick ~ LilWilli

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Mice and rats will make a big mess if they decide to nest in the boxes of frames and foundation and/or comb. I have found sitting them either in an upside down outer cover or on a concrete floor, stacking them neatly and placing an outer cover on the top usually works pretty good. Don't forget to treat for wax moths in the warmer climate you are in.

G3

3. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

Okie-doke....Thanks, G3

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Yes...and no matter how many cats I have, it seems they take up nesting right next to where the cats sleep.... :roll:

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I hear ya. There is at least one mouse in the workshop where the outdoor cat sleeps. Although she's deadly to mice in the yard, this mouse steals cat food and fills up the filter of the air compressor. Have to clean it every time before use.

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

If I catch a mouse in a bucket, my cats will just watch it scurry away as I dump it in front of them. I gotta quit feeding them... :lol:

7. rast

rast New Member

I am not going to get in to the useless cats I have and have had. How about one laying there while baby rats crawled under him and hid. Field rats are my biggest problem. Not in my hives, but everywhere else.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

My big tom cat "Tom" will kill anything in sight, don't matter.
    He is now teaching two other younger cats to hunt, "Blacky" and "Fuzzy".

G3

9. Charles

Charles New Member

We're really lucky, our 3 are incredible mousers, before they got here I had pretty good luck catching them with a 5 gallon bucket, a pop can and some fishing line ;-)

10. XLB

XLB New Member

our cat used to catch mice and leave them in bed with us, now he just flops down in the cabinet and watches them. :roll:

11. Hobie

Hobie New Member

XLB: Don't know about you, but I think I would prefer the latter!

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Do tell us of this adventure and set up.

If they are in the house I shoot them with a "soapy 22", my dad showed me this trick years ago. Take a 22 LR shell and pull the bullet out, pour half of the powder out, get a bar of soap and press the open end of the brass into the soap until it is a compressed load, trim the soap off even with the top of the brass, (use only a pistol) aim at mouse and fire at will..........pow.....dead or at least a stunned mouse. If you get too far away it will only knock them out. The soap bullet is too light to do any real damage unless you are point blank. They are pretty accurate, just think of a soap wadcutter. First time I ever did this my wife thought I was nuts and going to shoot a hole in the side of the house we were renting at the time. My kids think it is a hoot and talk about it every now and then.
    Have some rubber bullets like the cops use and Dad thought those would be a blast to shoot, they were 38 special and only fired by a large pistol primer, can't use that in the house at all. We thought a heavy throw rug hanging on a chair would stop it, nope, put a nice hole in the rug, bounced off of the floor and hit Moms cabinets.There is still a big dent in Moms cabinet from where the bullet hit it.

Do not try this at home kids!!

G3

13. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I absolutely detest mice! Our kitty used to be quite the fierce mouser, but has since gotten older and fatter and lazier. Now he will come to me and cry if there is a mouse in the house but he doesn't chase them as much.... snakes are another story.

I've been wondering too how to keep the mice from bothering our boxes and foundation and so on. I hate poison because of the kitty, the dogs, and the kids who come visit and like to chase the mice. One of my kids caught a mouse who was sick when they were little and I worried myself sick over whether or not it had been poisoned. Maybe I just need a new kitty?

14. Charles

Charles New Member

It's a pretty simple design. Take the 5 gallon bucket and drill 2 small holes about 2 inches from the top 180 degrees apart. Poke some holes all around the popcan and fill the holes with peanut butter.

What you want to do is suspend the popcan in the center of the bucket using fishing line. Ive done this a couple ways put the easiest is to drill a small hole in the top and bottom of the can then string the fishing line from the first hole in the bucket through the popcan and then tie it off in the other hole in the bucket. The popcan is now suspended in the center of the bucket.

Fill the bucket with about 8 - 10 inches of water and lean something against the bucket so the mice can walk right up to the top of the bucket (I used a cedar shingle).

What happens next is the mouse will jump onto the can to get the peanut butter and his weight will cause the can to spin and he'll find himself upside down. When he lets go he'll fall into the water and drown.

I was catching about 5 mice a night, in the morning I'd dump the water (and mice) into the field and refill the bucket with water...

Works pretty good but not as much fun as your soapy 22 :thumbsup:

15. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I can already hear my boys asking for buckets and pop cans.....thanks Charles :roll:

Those boys of mine just don't like to do anything the plain ole boring way, but at least now they might get the mice instead of laughing at me trying to outrun them.

16. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

only had mice on 2 occasions, they chewed the combs on 2 or 3 frames, and not that badly, mostly the smell and of course there was a mummified mouse ( Counted about 300 stingers )all dried down and stuck to bottom board with propolis and wax, the absolute worst is the wood damage to the hive bodies, and bottom bars of frames chewing on the joints or bottom edges.

17. XLB

XLB New Member

my grandpa would shoot them with a BB gun as they ran across his living room floor, Mom says she used to do it when she was a kid and get in trouble. I guess they didn't think about a soapy 22 :shock: :lol: