Are my supplies correct?

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by TheWoodsman, Oct 6, 2010.

1. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Ok, i am trying to build a simple Top Bar Beehive and after doing some research i have come up with these supplies that i would need to complete this project. Please if you build these, have biult one, or know the materials needed, let me know if what i have is good or not. Thanks

P.S. i have stuff like saws and drills so that kind of thing is not included on purpose.

6 6ft. 1x3
    2 8ft. 1x6
    1 6ft. 1x2
    Plywood for gable ( to make triangle roof )
    2 3x2 signboards for roof ( i'm doubleing them for added protection )
    botls and screws
    Wood glue

This is the site where i got most of my ideas so as you can see where i'm coming from throwing all this lumber at you...http://www.britishbee.org.uk/files/How_ ... r_hive.pdf
    This site had no list so i basiclly eyeballed what they used and made my own list up. They left out stuff like popsicle sticks to put inside so if you can help, anything you might think even simple as it may be will help becuase i am a begginer.

Aagin thanks and let me know what if anything i missed, i appreciate it, steve
    P.S. #2 In the model of a top bar hive shown on the link above ( as well as all top bar hives ) why is there 3 sections and not just one big opening inside?

2. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Yeah, it's just tjhat i don't know why they have 3 sections instead of just one?

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

What you're looking at is a top bar hive with 2 "follower boards" sitting in the hive: only 1 cavity divided into 3 sections by removable follower boards. I believe the follower boards are the first item made in the booklet you reference.

As I understand it, the follower boards are used to control the size of the hive to the population and hive build up. Initially the follower boards are placed as shown in your booklet. As the bee population expands and more room is needed, one board is gradually moved to one end. When the travel in that direction is done, the other board is moved. At least that is one approach.

Managing a top bar hive is different than managing a Langstroth. Since you have ample time for research before the next beekeeping season, you may want to check the local library for books on top bar hives.

Also, you may want to read Beekeeping for Dummies. I found it very useful and it will provide answers to many questions...some of which you don't even know you have yet. :D After I read it I changed some of the beekeeping supplies I planned to order. It saved me a bit of confusion and a bit of money.

Walt

4. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

So why not just have one cavilty, what does the other sections do? Do they make honey in each and they have to fly out to get to the other ones so why have them. I'm sure you guys are like wow what a dumb question but i just dont understand yet. Thanks walt, and if someone can help me out more again i'd appreciate it.

5. Walt B

Walt B New Member

The "other sections" don't do anything, they just stay empty. As the follower board slides to one end, the center section gets larger, more room for the bees. This continues until there's no more room to expand. Once the follower board slides to the end, it's removed.

Essentially you have an expanding section for the bees. It starts small and gets bigger, as needed, to fill the entire space of the hive.

Walt

6. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

Oh, ok...thank you, that actually clears up a lot. Your a good guy walt, helped me out quite a bit so far, and for that i thank you again.