are the bees curious or aggressive?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by dominica, Jun 21, 2010.

1. dominica

dominica New Member

i have one hive in an urban area, italians who seem to be doing really well. i inspected Friday and they have drawn out 6 frames since May 25 installation, and i'm very careful with them so i have yet to even be stung!

my question is---since I installed on May 25, it is getting about the time that new bees should be emerging...and Sunday this weekend, I noticed a lot of bees buzzing me out in my front yard, pretty far away from the hive, while i was washing the car/powerwashing the driveway. these bees seemed to be warning me, too...not doing foraging flights. i figured that maybe they were new bees and doing orientation flights or something....but i had them buzzing me right in my face, loudly, and they were VERY persistent (to the point where i HAD to swat at them).

my question is---is my theory correct---could they have been newborn bees doing orientation flights (do they do that?) or why did i suddenly have bees buzzing me, warning me, so far from the hive and during normal, everyday activities? it was not in their flight path and it's concerning me a bit.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Sounds like play flights when a dearth is on they will in fly circles around the hive. or they may be orientation flights. I wouldnt suggest swatting at them that tends to agitate them

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Turn the water off and see if they quit. A sprinkler or waterfall will attract them in hot weather.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

to add one more possible variable to iddee list they could also be attracted to the sound of the power washer itself.

it seems to me there are some motors (of various persuasions) that they ignore and some do seem to get the girls a bit agitated.

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Sounds like aggressive behavior to me. I used to have the same problem but added a robber screen to the hive that sits next to my driveway and can now walk right up to the hive with no bees buzzing in my face.

6. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Was there any other activity going on in the neighborhood that might have disturbed them?Lawn mowers, for instance.
    Whenever the big diesel tractor starts plowing the field directly behind our hives they get very agitated. Then, they do just as you described. Only sometimes they get stuck in our hair and,well, that never turns out good.