Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello bee experts. I was lucky enough to run across a swarm this spring. They are acting happy and busy but I haven't been able to spot the queen yet. I'm trying to figure out what strain they are. My best guess is Italians. I'm wanting to know in case they are queenless and I need to get a queen ordered. Here are a couple pics I snapped today. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day!

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
You can order any queen suitable for your climate and they will likely accept her. They may be part italian, but I just call my wild hives survivor bees or mutt bees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can order any queen suitable for your climate and they will likely accept her. They may be part italian, but I just call my wild hives survivor bees or mutt bees.
Lol. Mutts they are then! I was calling them wildlings. Thanks for the info! If I don't see eggs by next week I will get her in the shipped asap.

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
Lol. Mutts they are then! I was calling them wildlings. Thanks for the info! If I don't see eggs by next week I will get her in the shipped asap.
Good luck with them. Survivor bees are often very good bees, I have a big hive of them, very productive

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello bee experts. I was lucky enough to run across a swarm this spring. They are acting happy and busy but I haven't been able to spot the queen yet. I'm trying to figure out what strain they are. My best guess is Italians. I'm wanting to know in case they are queenless and I need to get a queen ordered. Here are a couple pics I snapped today. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day! View attachment 10528 View attachment 10529
If it’s a small swarm sometimes it is hard to spot the queen because it is likely a secondary swarm, meaning the original queen has left with the first bunch. You may have caught a swarm with a newly emerged queen which hasn’t fully developed in what you are used to seeing. Give it a little time and hopefully you see her. Best of luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your knowledge. Good news! The mutts/wildlings are queenright and she is laying. I spotted her and eggs yesterday. It wasn't a small swarm. I'm guessing 30k bees. Off to the races. Have a good evening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts