Are they swarming in your area too?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, May 13, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

After the storm this mourning i got a swarm call from a Golf course about 20 miles south of me and on the way back home my wife called and said she had a call from a person in our home town of a swarm in his front yard. :thumbsup: The first one was about 13ft. in a tree and the other one was 8ft. in a tree and i had to work in the rain on both of them. This makes five swarms that i've got already and it hasn't been swarming weather yet :confused: If this keeps up i'll run out of hives :shock: Jack

2. Monie

Monie New Member

No calls, but I did thwart, I hope, 1 of my hives. It had 5 nice capped queen cells on 2 frames. I added a frame to a queenless hive and made a another nuc with the other frame plus a couple of extra frames. I expected at least one would be swarmy. We've had a lot of rain and today it got to 80. I hope someone calls. (*~*)

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

no calls yet and it is really bumming me out. I did catch one swarm off of my own hives which is exactly 2 weeks later than last year.

G3

4. rast

rast New Member

Just about over with here. Most, not all, that are gonna, already have.

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Only one swarm call, but two structural removals count for something at least. Been a bad bad year for bees in the area.

Had a goal to get 25 swarms this year... but I'm not even going to get 10 at this rate.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am hoping the swarm season is done here. I have grown tired of explaining to little old ladies why I am not ethically bound to come and remove bees from their trees and structures.

I think next year I will determine a gold plated price structure for advising and removing other folks problems.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

only had 2 swarm calls this spring been real slow not sure if there was a lot of losses in ferral colonies this winter or what the deal is

8. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

The Riverrat is ALIVE!!!!! I havent heard from you in ages! good to hear your still around! How about Bill? hows he doing? go cruise the churches and find you a swarm! Hows the mead makin'?

Anyway I have had 2 swarm calls. Both real nice. Not sure if this 2nd one was a flood out or a swarm. It came out of a walnut tree trunk thats been there a long time. We've had tons of rain and the river flood waters where only 50' away from this 2nd swarm. Its a bit slow so far but it should pick up if it warms up.

9. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Collected one on Saturday as it swarmed in the middle of a bee class I was giving. Was a great timing thing and many enjoyed it. It was laying on the ground, so I simply layed a nuc up close and shook a handfull inside. The rest followed on cue.

Now, some may think collecting swarms is the easiest thing to do in beekeeping.... :D

10. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Went on our first swarm call yesterday. They were 15 ft (aprox.) up in a pine tree. I taped the vac hose to my extendending paint roller pole and sucked them out, about 7 pounds of really yellow girls. I am sure we got the queen since Kare got swarmed by the remaining bees as she carried the boxes to the truck and they all left the tree. We brought them home and set them up and had lunch.

Went to another bee yard and split a colony and inspected the rest there. Brought the spilt home, while setting it up I heard a loud buzzing coming from up the yard and it was the mornings swarm swarming again.
    Kare started her drumming on a plastic pail while I ran and got my post driver and a hammer. We drummed till they landed in a pine tree 15 feet from the hive they swarmed from. they were about 5 feet up so I trimmed some branches away from under them and sat a work table up with a different hive body with frames of drawn comb and a empty box. I had to lift the branch they were on so Kare could slip the empty box in place. then one quck shake and they were in again. Removed the flashing from the bottom board for air but left the entrance closed.

:mrgreen: Al

11. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

I've had a few swarms not like the box I've put them in and started closing off the entrance for a day or 2. I have screened bottom boards so they seem to do ok.
    Glad folks are getting some calls.
    That was good timing for you Bjorn! It usually is pretty easy to do and more folks should go after those free bee's that people dont seem to like in their yards!

12. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Ring ring, hello.
    Is this Al the bee keeper?
    Yes it is what can I do for you?
    I have this mess of bees that came in my yard like a swirel in tornado and settled in one of my maple trees. I'm highly alerigic but seen the PBS show on them disappering (there all here in my yard Laughing.) so I didn't want to spray them.
    Where are you located?
    Just 2 miles east of Deckerville on Able road off of M53.
    How high in the tree are they?
    I don't really know?
    Well how tall are you?
    I'm 5'7" but what does that have to do with it?
    I need to bring a ladder or can I reach them standing on the ground, How high they are determines what ladder I need and other equipment.
    So can you stand under the swarm and touch them?
    I could but won't I'm highly alergic to the sting.
    Just wondering do you carry a epi pen?
    What is that.
    a life saving device for those who are alergic to bee stings, doctors prescribe them.
    So the bees are about 6 feet in the tree?
    Yes that I guess whould be about right.

Sound about right to the rest of you?

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Take a step ladder and an extension ladder.

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

perhaps an extension ladder on a fire truck.

15. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

exactly!!!! alley, dont forget that occasional one that sprayed them too!
    I tell them I'm allergic too just like everyone else. Otherwise it wouldn't hurt when you got stung!

16. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Got a swarm call yesterday about 11:00 AM. It was a easy one in a Russian Olive bush about 3.5 feet up. Set up my portable work table with the hive in it. they started crawling in then for some reason stopped. I got the bee brush then helped them along. took about a half hour.

About 3:30 PM I got a call from a Ford Dealer in a near by town that said a swarm had just moved into to some rose bushes in front. I was elbow deep in a hive at one of or bee yards with equipment scattered all over the place so I walked him thru the steps of finding a Bkeep in the area.

Then at a a quarter to eight I got another call. I left Kare home as she wanted to see Idol. they were also easy. I had to trim some branches below the swarm that was about 3 feet up in a scrub apple tree. Sat the hive with drawn comb down on the ratchet strap set a empty deep on top, pulled the limb down gave it a sharp shake 99% in the box covered them. Hooked the ratchet strap up got them from under the apple tree, pulled the screen out of the bottom board so the stragglers would go under. Went back this morning and got them. all the stragglers is seemed were on the bottom board screen as I thouht they would bee.

17. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Good job Al, i had 5 swarm calls two weeks ago but haven't had one since? ( it's rained almost every day ) I look for that to change starting next week with temps in the 80's and sunshine :thumbsup: .I've had 3 queens that i bought from Drapers on my den desk for seven days, i've been watering them and all but one attendants in each cage had died. I got to put two of them in nucs yesterday and a club member needed a queen, so i let him have the other one. I'll be busier than flies on a cow pile next week with bees and garden. :roll: Jack

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I was wrong, it started today. One swarm call this mourning (easy swarm,8ft up in a tree) on the way home wife called and said the conservation dept called and said they was doing some dozing and a dead tree had a hive in it and wanted to know if i wanted the bees,( said it was on the ground and they were mean) i said i would meet him at the site in the mourning.A woman called and said the bees were back? i ask her what she meant? said she had called several beekeepers last year to come and get a swarm off the side of her house but no one showed up and the bees left. She said she was mowing her yard this mourning and seen bees coming and going between the fireplace bricks and the siding next to the roofs eve, i ask her how high she thought they were and she told me it was a three story house.I told her the bees never left last year and her home was their home to now and she would probably see some bees in her house once in awile, she said they already have. I told her i don't have a ladder that long and with one bad knee and the other one replaced i don't go that high up anymore but toid her if they become a problem i could go in from the inside if she wanted and what i would have to do, or i could try to find some one else to help her. She said she would let me know. Jack

19. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Got another swarm yesterday. It was on the ground at a apartment complex. We had got one out of a tree there last year. this year we located the tree they were issueing from. It is a big old hickory tree. Isn't my job to cut it down but told them if they do cut it down I would get the bees after the tree was down.
    Going to the city soon, fellow called yesterday with 4 bald faced hornets nest under the eves of his house. Was adimit he wanted them gone, I can use the extra $200.00 for getting rid of them too.

20. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

After ringing off the hook for the past couple of weeks, my phone has finally fallen silent the last few days... no swarm calls or anything... I can't say I'm upset about it either... the break is soo nice. Sleep, oh how I have missed you so. Wish I had spent the time wiser, I need to put some frames together, I'm running out, but I'll mess with that this weekend, provided my phone doesn't start ringing off the hook again. But even if it does, I'm going to pass them over to G3 this weekend, unless maybe it's a huge swarm right next to my house and easy to get to or something like that.