Are they swarming in your area too?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, May 13, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I got myself one of those ladders that can be used as an A-frame ladder between 6 and 12 feet tall, or an extension ladder in any length from 12 to 24 feet... I have to say, I LOVE IT!!! It is just been awesome for me, and no more guessing at what size ladder to bring along for the job... It even fits in my car.

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

I got one of those ladders at Sam's Club last year, very stable for pruning fruit trees, picking fruit and swarms :thumbsup: Jack

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Not getting so many swarm calls now. But I bet I get 3 calls a day with Bees in the house, one in a church, and a grarage.
    SEMBA has a fellow in the ad section of every news letter he does removals. I send so many his way I should have his phone number tatoted on my body some place. If I were much younger I could remember it I told it to so many people in the last week and a half.

:mrgreen: Al

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Swarming in my area too? Not if I can help it. :)
    I have seen a few hives that appear to have swarmed, but not many. Maybe 6 or 8 out of about 600.

5. brooksbeefarm

sqkcrk, with 600 hives i don't see how you can keep track of the ones that have swarmed and the ones that haven't? Jack

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. But during the last week I have been through every colony except one yard of 32 and I have only seen used queen cells in a handful of them. I figure, rightly or wrongly, that if I don't find new swarm cells or used swarm cells, then at this time in my area I have pretty much gotten past the real swarm season, which is usually from apple pollination time and into the next month, maybe 5 or 6 weeks.

I have been going through each colony and moving brood up into another empty deep or moving some frames of brood into an empty deep above a single deep of bees and brood. I have also been making some splits from those hives.

Today I came across a hive that had a couple of swarm cells in it, so I moved some brood from another hive into it and left a frame w/ a queen cell on it. I assume that that colony has swarmed, being as I saw no eggs and mostly capped brood and a couple of queen cells, and lots of bees. So, either it swarmed or is on the verge of casting a swarm, as I write.

I have 25 new queens to make some more splits w/ and that will be the end for this year. Unless something comes up.

7. brooksbeefarm

Two weeks ago i went through all my hives here at home and they were very strong and i found no swarm cells.Last thurs. i drove by them on the 4 wheeler and seen a swarm in process, they landed in the top of a tree 50ft up and hanging over a creek bed. I wasn't going to risk my neck to get them, checked back an hour later and they were gone. I looked at the hive they swarmed from and it had alot of activity again and bees bearding around the landing board, so i thought when they swarmed the queen wasn't with them and they returned. Well i had other things i had to do and didn't go into it like i should have.Friday about 10:30am i went to go through that hive (to late) they were swarming again and landed in the same tree and on the same limb and when i checked on them around 5:00pm they were gone, i checked all four of my swarm traps and they weren't there.There probably wasn't nothing i could have done any way with that many bees it would have been hard to find the queen.What would some of you have done in this situation. :confused: Jack

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would have at least set out a bait hive or two. At least you would have had a chance at them, I have some extra equipment on the front porch and the scouts seem to always come and check it out. Never can tell what those gals are going to do.

Thanks for thinking about me there SgtMaj, still no calls yet and I doubt there will be any now.

G3

9. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

I havent had a call all week. had 6-7 last week or so!
    If I dont get some supers on I'll be watching them leave my yards too like Brookebee

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yeah, my phone has fallen completely silent now. I'm sure there will be at least one or two more before the end of the year, but possibly might be too late in the year to get a good buildup before winter.

11. Chickm1

Chickm1 New Member

They swarmed a lot through April, and finally quit about the first week of May. Now, it appears that we are going through a 2nd swarm. I picked up a swarm this morning, and then found that 2 of my swarm traps, had swarms move into them today. I think I am the only one chasing swarms in my area, and have picked, or trapped 15-18. That sounds good, until you have to build all the bottoms, tops, brood boxes and supers. Not to mention putting all those darn frames together. Gets expensive real quick, and is very time consuming.

12. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

I got a call today finally! close to home thankfully. Hope to get them tomorrow. Too bad I have to work for a livin(at work!)