Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, got to thinking and that can be bad :D . So you catch a swarm , buy a nuc or a newbee reports this about a package.

Checked on the bees and all looked great two weeks ago (or even a month ago) with a very good brood pattern. But now the brood pattern is kinda spotty with empty cells shotguned throught out, almost 25% of the cells open, what should I do?
Normally we say the queen is failing and to replace her. But if the hive is not raising a replacement queen could it be that we have a queen/bees with a hygenic trait and they are just cleaning out larva with mites/shb or w. moth brood? So could we be jumping the gun and killing a good queen and her traits?
I guess I'm wondering if we are acting to fast. Jim

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
has hot as it has been i would ride it out to see what happens. Do they have plenty of stores. at worst you can combine it with a stonger hive in winter and split back in the spring. If it turns out to be a ailing queen. but my guess its the heat

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a problem just a what if situation. Jim

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
with the main early and mid summer nectar flows shutting down and the fall nectar flows not in yet, a degree of brood reduction would be in order I would think anyway. With a now somewhat limited resources comming in, why maintain huge brood patterns, and deplete stored reserves that may or may not be replaced with fall flows.
Barry

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Jack you need to have a talk with my wife who 1) is very much a scientist and 2) is pretty well convince that not only do animals reason they reason at a quite high level.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
My experience is that after the full comb brood-laying of the spring, the pattern of laying becomes less organized in the summer. Maybe it's because as the cells are used, the bees don't prepare them for a new set of laying in the same orderly manner. Maybe if you would put a clean built comb in the middle of the brood area you'd find the queen to fill it up in an orderly way, as in the spring. :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts