Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed bees coming and going from near my eave. I have an old house with a slate roof. They are entering under the copper flashing in a roof valley, where the curve of the metal leaves a triangular space underneath. They must be between the flashing and the roofing boards. Two stories up, where I have no means to get to it. Argh!

This is where the bats used to roost, but no bats this year. Hence the availability of this space.

No idea what I'm going to do. Impossible to cut out. Darn near impossible to trap out, with my resources. Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (insert "tearing hair out" smilie here)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've never been so happy to be wrong! (First time ever, for me... :lol: !!!)

I was watching the bees in my eave the other day and noticed... they have yellow legs!?! Apparently my swarm is living happily elsewhere, and the residents of my eave are yellow jackets.

Guess I also need to check my eyeglass prescription..... :oops:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hose end sprayer with dollar storedish soap nearly to the top.

All else fails use Spectside Pro hornet and wasp spray from Home Depot, contact killer for up to 4 weeks if it isn't washed down.

:mrgreen: Al

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, the sprayer won't work. I have an old slate roof, under which the roofing boards are 1" rough-cut hemlock boards with nice gaps between them. If I sprayed water up there, I would just fill up the attic! Will have to go the chemical route, I'm afraid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts