Argh! Midges!

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Hobie, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Well, this is NOT the weekend to live or play near the water in northern PA or OH. With all the rain this year, the midge population is unbelievable. Luckily, they do not bite, but they land on everything, covering walls, boats, and even people if you stay still long enough, and then they squish and get bug guts everywhere. Trying to roll up the sails from our boat yesterday, without rolling up midges, and while literally covered from the knees down with the darn things, was truly a test of will power. You can't do any painting projects, because they will land in the wet paint. No food can be left uncovered at picnics. Darned inconvenient timing. Have never seen this quantity in all my years!

Should be good fishing though...

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Our pest of the summer is grasshoppers. Little buggers are the worst this year. We've been trying to keep young apple trees alive for the past 3 years, but the grasshoppers are winning, and their numbers this summer are phenominal.

This year I got an organic spray that has garlic and repels grasshoppers. Right! Our grasshoppers must be Italian because they sucked up the spray and ate the trees. :D

On the bright side, chasing them great exercise for the chickens and entertainment for us. :lol:

Walt

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

We have tics really bad this year. find one or two on me every day.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ticks can be picked off. Midges and grasshoppers don't bite or hurt.

Chiggers hurt for days or weeks. Anybody wanna trade pests?

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Just a dab of nail polish will take care of a silly little chigger :roll:
    You just look like a speckled pup for a few days :lol:

6. Murrell

Murrell New Member

We have had this year a slew of teeny-tiny ticks !

WE always have what we call seed ticks, they are tiny but these are almost hard to see, and almost impossible to get with a twezers !

Every area has different pains.

Murrell

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Here, we haven't had much problem with tics.

I guess it's the lack of moisture this year that has kept chiggers in check. It's also sent the fire ants underground. :thumbsup: Not much problem with mosquitoes either.

Walt

8. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Chiggers, seed ticks and skeeters, Oh My! In Kansas, we got em' all. Never heard of midges though.

9. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Maybe so, but my Dad and my sister both contracted Lyme disease this year. Be careful out there, and make sure they give you more than 2 antibiotic pills.

And, ugh! Parasites disgust me!

10. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Hobie, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad and sister.
    I picked up a seed tick on June 7 while cutting down some dead wood. I still have blotchy skin in that area. That doesn't compare to Lyme disease.

11. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

up north MO we call them Cheegro's!
    Up here in Alaska all we have are misquito birds by the millions BUT no snakes ticks or cheegro's either!
    Omie, my dad caught Lyme disease also while out turkey hunting w/ me. The next year he pasted away from what they claim Melenoma but I still wonder about the Lymes.

12. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Weirdest thing about Lyme disease that I had never heard before: apparently it affects how you think! My Dad is an engineer and really good at fixing things. Along with the "typical" flu-like symptoms, he also could not concentrate on anything, "forgot" how to do simple tasks, and could not remember what he had just done. This all went away after a round of antibiotics. Kind of scary, though. Something to be aware of, since different people show different symptoms.