Beekeeping Forums banner

Arthritis

64K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  becsbeehive 
#1 ·
I ran out of medicine two weeks ago. Couldn't get into the doctor until today. Sunday was 66 degrees and sunny. The bees were flying.I put two stings directly on my backbone an inch apart.

Within 5 minutes, I was standing straight for the first time in two weeks. Put my walking cane in the truck and began checking hives. No more pain until yesterday. Now it's too cold for them to fly, so it's back on the pills I got today.

#6 ·
Hobie, the swelling and itching just means that your immune system is running properly!
Jack, my belly swells up in the winter too. Usually because I do more sitting than at other times of the year. :D

#8 ·
No, the stings just happened Sunday. I had been hurting for about two weeks. By Tues. I was ready for another sting, which I didn't get due to the weather. I went to the doctor Tues. and got a new medicine. It seems to be working. I will likely get off the pills in Mar. or Apr. when I start receiving stings on a regular basis.

#15 ·
I was a skeptic, but now I'm a believer. I do tile setting and have to grip my tools and materials all day long. I had joint pain and stiffness in several of my finger joints. I never wore gloves from the get go when I started keeping bees last year. I got about a dozen stings in my hands over the course of last summer, which was enough to make all my pain go away. It took most of the winter for the pain to come back. Now with just a couple of stings it's gone again. All of these were accidental stings, mostly to my finger tips. I may consider targeted stings if the accidental ones cease to be effective in the future.

#17 ·
My girlfriend is a hairstylist. She has developed arthritis in her thumbs. 3 days ago she let me sting her in the lower knuckle of her thumb. The first night it was sore. By the morning you couldn't tell she was stung. Today, she said that the arthritis is still hurting. Does it take more than one sting? I was really hoping for this to work.

#19 ·
For my wife, 1 or 2stings works. For me, it takes 3 to 5. Every sting, every person, and every ailment are different. Experience will tell the story.Try to get her to take another one or two.

PS. 1 or 3 feels the same. Since all stings are different, you will only feel the one that is worst in any given area.

#20 ·
We only did one hand to see what the reaction would be. Today she says it doesn't hurt as bad as her other hand. I know every person is different but how long on average does it last? Now, it's up to her if she wants to do it again.

#22 ·
FWIW, I'm a believer in the curative value of a well placed stinger. My hands are naturally stiff and sore from osteoarthritis and a touch of gout. Both thumbs get sore at their base. A bee sting (left to pump the full dose of venom) near the base of the thumb brings relief in 36 hours and lasts nearly three weeks.

​I would expect that my immune system will need more and more venom for the same anti inflammatory response in the joints as time goes by. Working bees with bare hands, I stop taking celebrex in the summer and resume again in the Winter. Just my two cents here, but there is no doubt in my mind about this. :)

#24 ·
Must be working! She's tired of the other hand hurting and wants to be stung.
With my bees, its is difficult to hold a bee and make them sting a certain spot. The best method I've found (for me) is to put a couple bees in a queen muff and press my target spot against a bee as if to crush it and -BANG- it is done. A lot easier than trying to hold it with unwilling digits. HTH :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.