asparagus seeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by BjornBee, Jul 24, 2009.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I planted asparagus this year from roots. As instructed, I let them grow, and did not harvest any this year.

Some of the stalks have little seeds pods. I have seen asparagus seeds for sale in mags and on-line. I'm not wanting to sell any, but want to ask if it is worth the efforts in planting them? Can you sow them in among the plants already growing?

I'm figuring for as long as I need to fully harvest what I planted from roots (two years), then is it worth it to worry about seeds?

Anyone grow asparagus from seeds?

Thank you in advance.
    Mike.

2. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Bjorn, I always thought thats why you wait for a couple years to harvest the "grass" so it could reseed itself and provide a good strong stand.
    How much did to get planted this spring? I added 12 root stock to mine this year and they did pretty well. I'll bee in good standing in a few years!!!!
    With the weather I am getting right now I am picking my "grass" again!!! getting a handfull every other day!!!!
    I love it off the grill w/ zuccinni and carrots!!!mmmm

3. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Bjorn if you do try it let us know how it works!!! I'll start planting my ditches!!!

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I let mine go to seed. I have read, however, that you may get a better crop by planting male asparagus crowns, as the male plants produce better. The seeds allegedly produce female plants (or, more likely, both male and female) and you end up with more of the sprouts that turn feathery fast. Search the Mother Earth News site for some decent articles.

I think watering the plants is critical. Not a big problem this year, but last year was dry and I did not water my raised beds much (saving the well). This year, about half my asparagus plants did not come up.

5. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Thank you for the info guys.

I planted I think 25 plants/roots. They did good initially until the weeds took over. I weeded a few weeks back, topped off with peat moss, and have kept them moist (like it didn't rain enough :roll: ) and it seems they really started with much regrowth. I can see much improvement.

I have not picked any but the deer did take a few.

I'm going to start another section I think with the seeds and see if it is worth the hassle.

Beehunter, Do they actually reseed themselves or are the roots just continually growing from one season to the next? I do not know.

6. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

regarding the seed quesion, I'll get w/ my greenhouse lady friend, It will give her a good challenge!!
    I know I have picked wild "grass" @ my Great Grandpas "spot" and its still growing well after 120 years?
    I plan on grooming it but dont want to let the others know where it is if it looks maitained!!
    Sounds like you got a good stand going there Bjorn.
    How does everyone keep their extra "grass" they dont eat? Ma says freeze it?
    Did I mention I am still getting some? sorry to rub it in but it goes sooo well grilled w/ elk loin and zuccinni!

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

"Extra"??? What's that?!

8. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I know I'll be planting some more next year. :D

I'll trade anyone some horseradish for asparagus plants.... :)