At what point do you give up on a frame?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, May 28, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Another one of those questions that has me wondering what others do.

When you find frames that have a lot of mold on them from last years dead-outs, how bad do they have to get before you give up on em?
    I've got a few that are pretty raunchy, nice brood comb with a great pattern, but pretty moldy cells of pollen. Kinda got that lush green carpet growing across em :oops:
    [​IMG]
    This one isn't too bad
    [​IMG]
    This one, the top left corner is not so good
    [​IMG]
    This one is pretty bad, that stuff looks like it is hard, maybe too hard for the bees to remove?

Can the bees actually clean this stuff up or will they simply avoid it? Some of it looks like it would be hard for them to remove, would I be better off just to scrape off the bad parts or even scrape off the whole comb? (plastic foundation)

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I dont like to put them in real bad but I got to admit. I have put a lot worse in hives them girls good house keepers.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would sit the frame outside and let them rob the honey out of it first, right in the sunshine, not in a deep box. Then see how it cleans up. Sometimes just a good airing out will help some too.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would have to wonder if the plastics affect it in any way. The pure wax, they can clean.

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I've put far worse back in and the bees clean them up so well that you can't tell a difference between them and other frames that never had mold on them.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Did you put a frame of drawn wax foundation in with the plactic foundation :confused: . If so the plastic probably became green with envy. :mrgreen: . Like others have said, i've put worse than what you've shown (wax) back in with no problem, and they cleaned it right up. It's the black oily looking frames i take out, and they get used for swarm traps. :thumbsup: Jack

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Jack:

Almost all of my frames have wax coated foundation (Permadent). Glad to hear you and Ben have done this so it's full steam ahead and in the frames go. Maybe I'll keep track of them and see how long they take or even if they clean them up!

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would likely slap that puppy in there with little fore thought.