At what tempature should the hive bottom be screened?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by gerretw, Nov 14, 2016.

1. gerretw

gerretw New Member

I live in Los Angeles, and some times in the winter it dips into the 40's at night. I recently discovered the concept of screening the bottom of the hive to keep mites off the bees and to keep the moisture in the hive from building up. But knowing the bees don't much like cold weather, I would think it would be a good idea to keep the hive bottom closed till spring.

Are there any rules of thumb about the temperatures that I should be keeping it shut on the bottom?

G

2. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I live in missouri and our winters average much lower temps, and I leave them screened year round. I have been told from local beeks here, that it is not the cold that kills them in winter but inadequate ventilation causing freezing cold drops of water.
    I have been told from a fellow beek that they have found one of there hives with the lid knocked off for a couple of days when we were averaging 20°temps and they survived.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I put the sticky board in when I am treating with OAV. something I'd best be getting on. after that if they have brood, boards in but slightly vented near the front. If no brood in bottom box it is less of an issue. If a lot of brood in bottom box cluster can stay too near brood, it has cost me a hive when the screen was wide open. NOTE my hives do not sit near the ground at all. They are 18 inches up on a pipe stand so a pretty stiff wind can get in the bottom