Attempted Home Invasion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bens-Bees, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Tuesday morning about 4am someone tried to kick in our door. We suspect he was a druggie looking to quickly grab anything he could to sell for his next high as one of my wife's co-workers that lives near us also recently had her basement door kicked in while they were home asleep and had some stuff stolen. Fortunately I had replaced the short flimsy screws on the sill plates with 3 and a half inch deck screws that secured them to the studs behind the door jam so the door didn't give when he tried to kick it in even though he kicked so hard he took some paint off the door. The cops got there pretty quick after we called but he was long gone by then and they didn't find him by searching the neighborhood.

Though it ended as well as possible this time, it shook us up pretty good and shattered our illusions of living in a nice peaceful quiet neighborhood. After talking to my neighbors I found out that three of them had also had to run off prowlers in the past couple of years. We decided to bolster our home security because I realized that if he had broken down the door, there wouldn't have been much I could do to protect my wife and son other than wrestle with him but I haven't fought since I was in the Marine Corps some 15 years ago, and doubt I would be able to put up much of a fight at this point, so I bought a handgun (a Walther PK380), and my wife is getting a security system installed, and this weekend we'll also add a chain to both front and back doors.

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

We live in perilous times, especially in rural America. In some places, it can take law enforcement or emergency vehicles 15 to 30 minutes to get to the scene. Being able to protect your family and possessions is becoming critical. I'm glad it worked out for you this time. However, you must remain vigilant (and well armed).

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

You know, I would have thought living in a rural area like I do would have reduced the likelihood of crime like this... but apparantly not. You're right though. We got very lucky. I can't even tell you how many times before that I've left my home or vehicles unlocked... or even with the doors open the keys in the ignition and my wallet on the seat... never had a problem before. But I'll also never do that again.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds quite unsettling...

I would be wondering why with 4 'break in' events in the same neighborhood why hasn't the police been more successful? Is your police force just incompetent or lazy? no matter what the answer such inaction usually results in someone getting seriously injured whether it be a home owner wishing to protect their family and stuff or the perp (who is typically motivated not to hurt anyone but just to grap stuff and go) <there is quite a predictable connection between the perps drug addiction and a pawn shop(s).

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I am glad to hear you and your family are safe. :thumbsup:

A reminder to us all to be vigilent.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sorry to hear it happened. Buying a gun is a good "first step". Now get training in it's use, not only for yourself, but ALL family members. Your marine training did not teach you Tenn. laws. Get training for everyone, both in usage and laws. Then take the family out to practice at least monthly to begin with, and quarterly afterward.

A family member being shot is horrible, but it is even worse when it is accidental by another family member.

7. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Definately check the laws in your area, the criminals have more rights than you! I have a concealed handgun permit, in obtaining it you would be suprised at how many elderly folks and women were in the course. Most of which had similar experiences like Ben's Bees.

I agree with Iddee, get the whole family familiar with firearms and firearm safety. My wife has a .25 & .22 that she is comfortable with and that is key. She does not like guns but knows how to use them out of neccesity. Empty clip, dial 911.....

8. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I also agree with iddee. If you have a gun, you MUST be prepared (mentally as well - shooting a human is not an easy thing) to use it, otherwise it is better to not have one at all. As soon as someone is inside your house, you have the right to shoot first and ask questions later.

9. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but glad nothing serious happened. TN is a shall-issue state.
    This means that the state will not turn down an application for a concealed carry permit, unless you are a convicted felon, have committed domestic violence, or received a BCD from the military.
    The permit is issued by the State Patrol. Go to the TN.GOV website, and navigate your way to the Dept. of Public safety. It tells you the requirements and restrictions.

10. Marbees

Marbees Member

Registered with "Fire Arms Academy" for gun license course that starts next week.
    Part of my "moving to the country" plan.
    Even my anti gun wife thinks it's necessity, especially after she got scared last winter with coyote howling close to the cabin.
    I'll teach her how to fire a shotgun.

11. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

Hate to say this but if you do shoot the intruder, you will have to kill him or be prepared to be sued. I have cop friends that tell me to be certain if it ever comes to that to tell the cops that your life was in danger, that the intruder in fact stated he would take your life. Apparently its important they know their was intent & that you acted in self defense.

Man, can't people just do the right thing?

...JP

12. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

Triple tap. Two in the chest & one in the head.

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Redcrane, how about 5 where ever they hit, and one saved for careful placement?

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Mo. law is if an intruder enters your home (kick in the door or window) without permission, you can blow them away. We keep a 12 ga. shot gun loaded with 00 buck and hand guns hid where children (grandkids) can't get them when their here, but when there not, it's a different story.Mo. did have the meth capital title and there are still to many around. There are still some unsolved murders in our area were they were boke into and husband and wife killed. It's a different world now than when i was growing up. Jack

15. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I looked up applicable laws in my state and anyone that breaks into your home in TN can be shot and killed (provided you haven't already subdued them first). The important thing from what I've heard is to tell the cops your concern was stopping the person, whether he lived or died wasn't your concern. This is because Tennessee has a no retreat otherwise known as a castle law.

Thanks, I already looked them up, I just need to take a handgun safety course which is only offered once a month at our local firing range. I intend to take it next month, and I'll send my wife the month after that.

Well, I am already somewhat familiar, though I haven't owned before, I did serve in the Marines about 15 years ago, and I've been to the range a few times since and rented firearms to shoot with... I have also been to the range with this new hangun to break it in and get familiar with it.

I intend to get my wife familiar and proficient with it, right now she's a bit intimidated by handguns, though she has no problem with rifles. But we won't be teaching my son, at least not for several years... in fact, so far I've kept it entirely out of his sight, haven't talked about it around him, and would prefer he just not even know about it for now. He's autistic so I'm not even sure that we'll be able to teach him gun safety in a few years even, but we can keep it away from him, so that's what we'll have to do.

No in fact they got there pretty quick that night, just about 3-4 minutes. But the way my neighborhood is situated it's a 5 second run in any of three directions to be in completely different neighborhoods that vehicles such as cop cars would take 2-3 minutes to drive over to... and there are tons of hiding places so it's really easy for them to get away. The cops have been crawling all over the area since that night though. but I doubt he'll be back. I don't think he specifically targeted us, we don't have any enemies that we know of... so I suspect he was just looking for any door that he could kick in and grab some stuff to steal quickly and sell for drugs or something.

16. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:goodpost:

In a self-defense situation, where seconds count, police are only minutes away.

17. Zulu

Zulu Member

While I carried for many years, it is a big step to pull the trigger on a person.....

For home security i always suggest Get a big dog, homes with big dogs who live inside are some 70% less likely to be robbed. They also need to be fed in the morning not at night.

Even homes with small dogs are better off as they give good warning.

Rural homes are seen as easy targets by petty criminals as they are most often further away from neighbors.

Improving home security from a physical perspective can be done pretty cheaply. Good quality solid exterior doors that DO NOT have glass in them, with solid jams ( like you already have) . Dble locks with deadbolt, and no obvious vegetation hiding places close to entrances all will help you have some peace of mind.

As for the guns, all good advice above, but can you actually kill someone? If you are not sure, look to other methods first.

Me, I know the answer......

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I spent a year in Viet Nam. Want to guess the answer?

That's why I always carry, and shoot once a week for fun.

19. Zulu

Zulu Member

Yep, 18 months in Angola and Namibia...... Also a veteran.

20. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

All very good advise. Planning, Training, Safety. Taking a human life is very hard to do and even harder to live with until you admitt that it was not YOUR fault, you have a right to protect yourself and loved ones.
    I AM PRO GUN CONTROL as in shot placement and a tight pattern :D Jim