Attention all Cajuns!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Mar 27, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Any of you folks on this forum trace any of your roots back to Nova Scotia?
    Reading about the expulsion of the Acadiens here in Nova Scotia. Turns out when the English arrived and started booting out the French :duel: , many of the folks that had been here for a while refused to swear allegiance to the King of England or France :rules: , they just wanted to be left alone. Not good enough apparently so they were summarily rounded up (near Grand Pre) and shipped off to
    France. A good many of them however, took off before the expulsion and headed South and took up residence somewhere near Louisianna.

"Acadien" became "Cajun".

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'm not cajun, i talk funny, but not that funny. :lol: Have some cajun friends, that i had to tell i wouldn't fish with them anymore if they didn't quit eat'n the bait. :mrgreen: That was gross :shock: man. Jack

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Im not sure of anyone from louisiana on the form. But I got to say them cajuns can fix some food. We got a show on the history channel called swamp people that shows the day in day out of alligator hunting very interesting show. But you just about need an interpreter sometimes to understand what they are saying.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

We've got a few on the forum from La. Shawee is also a gator hunter. Don't think him or JP are cajuns. I think they are more coonass than anything else, and that's meant as a compliment, not a cut down.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

When i was on the Mo. State Water Patrol. stationed in Cape Fair, Mo. 1967 to1971, i met several cajuns from La. They would seine crawdads out of the sloughs,set trottlines for turtles,and catch snakes (and who knows what else??) for their cook outs, while camping out on the bank of Tablerock Lake. They would wave me over to there camp sight and invite me to eat with them.I would visit with them, but when they were ready to eat, i would always have to be somewhere :mrgreen: . We would all laugh, they were always a happy,friendly sort, and never left any trash from the camp sight. Kind of wish i'd tried some of there cooking now :confused: . Jack

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Well, Jack, I've eaten all those plus gator and frog legs. All I can say is you missed some good meals.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I like good true cajun food but its hard to find here in the midwest. Always wanted to go down and experience mardi gras, Not the commercial version in new orleans but one in a back water town where mardi gras is done as it was and has been forever. My oldest son went down on a mission trip a year after katrina to a small town to help he was amazed at the food the people would cook up for them to show there appriciation he said they could take a little of nothin and turn it into a feast desired by all.

8. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Oh yeh. A few years ago we stopped at a place near New Iberia. Had a couple of beers and a kettle of crabs, crawfish, corn, and potatoes dumped on the table. This Yankee loved it! :D

Walt

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

This hillbilly has ate alot of frogleg's,but i ain't goning to eat any snakes, turtles, or crawdads. Grandpa said, times were hard when he was growing up as a kid in Texas, co. Mo. he said they ate just about anything that walked or crawled in Mo., said the only thing he didn't care for was skunk , he said it was to stringy :shock: Never heard of a cajun eating one of them. :mrgreen: Jack

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

I'd pull up a plate at their fire anytime...
    ... eaten Crocodile , snakes , Nile Monitor , grubs , all sorts of African wild Antelope, including Giraffe, Buffalo, Elephant, and Zebra.

.. if it smells good , I'd try it... ....... now I'm hungry

11. rast

rast New Member

Jack, I recon you being from Mo., somebody just needs to show you how good the above can be. Especially the crawdads.