ATV Brush Cutter

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by riverbee, Jun 11, 2012.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i am looking at purchasing a brush cutter to pull behind my 4 wheeler, a 700 polaris sportsman, like this from northern tool:

swisher rough cut trail mower

does anyone use these types of trail mowers? any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. i would be cutting a variety of brush, weeds and tall grass.

thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I have the 44" trail cutter. I think I got it in early 2008. I've been quite satisfied with it. Towed it around for awhile with a garden tractor, but now use a Yamaha Bearcat. It takes care of about 9 acres and will take down the high stuff: if the ATV can handle it, so can the trail cutter.

The only problem I had with it was the tires: they were tube tires (wheelbarrow tires actually) and just could not stand up to the mesquite around here. At G3's suggestion I got them foamed and they've been fine ever since. The wheels on your model won't have that problem.

Swisher has a web site that may have more information than Northern: http://www.swisherinc.com/

Walt

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

walt,
    thank you for your reply on this, and especially that you use the swisher model down from the one i am looking at. the foamed tires would be a plus...lots of busy beavers chewing willows down to pointy sticks.....and some rougher terrain. the polaris has been a good investment, handles just about anything, also, do you think it is worth the extra dollars to purchase the electric start? ever had any issues with pull starting on yours?
    thanks! (thanks for the swisher link too)

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Now that you ask, just had a problem with it being bound up. The folks here, as always, were very helpful and had the perfect diagnosis.

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/threads/6980-Small-Engine-Problem?p=153961#post153961

Now, mine's only 344cc, 12.5hp and the one you're thinking about is 500cc and 18.5hp. I think it may be a good idea to get an electric start. I'm sure there're others here that know more about it than I do and can give you advice based on experience.

Walt

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

thanks walt, and thanks for the link to the discussion. i have many gas powered engines, and a couple, to quit on me when i need them the most and don't have time to fiddly fart with figuring out what's wrong, gets very annoying, so i take them in, ching-ching....oh well, learned something new.
    thanks for your input on the electric start.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nice...but, dang they are pricey....

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

The Walk Behind

Also have their "walk behind" model. Got it in 2007, just before I spent a few months with a back injury, but eventually got to it. Here's the before:

Shredding 1.jpg

And here's the after:

water containers.jpg

I'm a believer in this company...I don't say that about many.

Walt

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

walt,
    i think we are the only two on this forum that use these things?! this can't be :confused:

dave, they are pricey, but you should see what i will be cutting with it, and it's cheaper than a tractor.....well ask iddee, i think he buys alot of tractors, i just own a tractor fender and some miscellaneous parts... :lol:

thanks walt, i did see that one too, might have to purchase that one down the road, it would be handy, and thanks for the pictures and the advice on the swisher company. i am thinking the electric start is the unit i will purchase. i'll have to upload some pics like you did, before and after.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

10. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

I have a walk behind string trimmer from swisher. If I have a need for some real brush cutting I hook up the three point hitch brush mower. Makes quick work of most anything.

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Holy Moly Walt! :shock:
    I've heard of rain barrels but those take the cake!

12. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Perry, Yep, a half inch of rain fills them (500 U.S. gal total). They're not cost effective when you figure 1000 gallons of water costs $7, but around here it's not cost, but availability. That collection got the gardens through last year. :thumbsup: Plus, it was quite a conversation piece for awhile. :grin: Now folks are back to commenting on the "big, black chickens".

Walt

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

iddee's reply:
    "Here's the way to cut brush, and not far from you, either. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-8N-Ford...item1e6ee664c8

wow, thank you iddee. very thoughtful of you to find and post that. we have looked at and considered purchasing a tractor and cutter, it would serve the purpose well, but we have some areas of trails up through the woods a tractor would not work so well. the plus side is that we have a neighbor down the road a piece from us that does tractor repair for a living from his place. he is also on the look out for tractors.

greg, a walk behind string trimmer or a finish mower are not the types of tools to use on 80 acres with 4 wheel trails to be mowed, and other uses, now your 3 point hitch brush mower would be!