August 2013 Indiana Open Air Colony Removal

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by blueblood, Aug 15, 2013.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

It's only my 2nd year and I have already learned to be leery of honey bee calls this late in the summer. But, we found an open air colony 12 ft north in a crab-apple tree. Was a pleasant and educational experience for several. This is an upscale retirement neighborhood on the south side of the town I patrol. Word of mouth led me to this surprise. I called my fellow officer and bee student out to assist in swarm removal turned cut-out/off :grin:. The temps the night before hit a near record low of 49f. The property owner said the bees have been there at least 2 weeks but I estimate 5-6. My friend took the honor of shaking but very quickly realized there was comb, lots of it. It made sense because 3-4 guard bees dispatched very much like my own hives do to dissuade us. We tried bringing the branch down but the mass of inside branches dislodged the cluster. I am confident now, the queen was hiding in the 5-6 combs and medium size cluster we managed to still lower to the nuc. Some of the residents came out to watch. It was very neat to see the enthusiasm of the elderly lady you will see in the video :razz:. I ended up with a nuc of bees and two frames of banded comb with brood. I had bottled chunk comb honey with me and sold a bottle and most certainly made several referrals. All said they see swarms in the area every year. Not quite sure what I am going to do with the nuc yet. Maybe some of you old codgers can offer some advice...ha! Enjoy the pics and video. Oh, also I added some links to two members here that posted threads of open air colonies. The first one is in San Fran (Oct) and the other Indiana (Sept). Further, there is a link to open air colonies on Beemaster. Take a look at the really neat one on page 2 that is Jp the bee man's post.
    DSCF9053.jpg DSCF9055.jpg 0814131859.jpg 0814131859a.jpg 0814132039.jpg 0814132040a.jpg 0814132046.jpg 0814132046a.jpg
    http://www.beekeepingforums.com/threads/8203-I-ve-never-had-a-quot-swarm-quot-like-this-before?highlight=dewhurst
    http://www.beekeepingforums.com/threads/8112-Found-a-hive-Hanging-on-a-tree-HUGE?highlight=dewhurst
    http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,38612.0.html
    [video=youtube;f18vns7jbPA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f18vns7jbPA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Your video is private. When are you going to remember? Just like a cop to promise and then lock it away. :razz: :lol:

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

thanks Dave
    Very cool! but I seem to be missing the links also?

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Sorry guys, I hit "public" every time. It must revert to private. Let me fix it....Drives me stinkin nuts! It's fixed.

5. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Another nice catch Dave. I just got a call but it is over 3 hours away and they have failed to call me back with specifics...guess I will see eventually...or not. Again, job well done. Tom

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

great pix and video dave!

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have decided to try adding an open bottom nuc on top. So now, I have a 5 on 5. I looked for a queen when I opened it up. She was either too slick or isn't in there. I did notice what I believe to been queen cups that were not there before. They have commenced to drawing new comb to connect the banded comb. This is going to be an experiment for me. If it doesn't look like they will be ready to winter over by the end of September, I will combine them somewhere.
    DSCF9065.jpg DSCF9069.jpg DSCF9071.jpg DSCF9072.jpg