Austrailan Bees Banned By APHIS

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Iddee, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With little public fanfare, the United States has banned the importation of honey bee queens and package bees from Australia.

Minister Counselor (Agriculture) Simon Smalley at the Australian Embassy in Washington and a spokesman for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (ASPHIS) both confirm the move made towards the end of last month.

Both say there is a “temporary suspension†of the imports, but the APHIS website has a one sentence reference that reads:

“Importation of honey bee queens and package bees from Australia is prohibited.â€

http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-2010. ... chive.html

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

with an almost assurance of short supply of queens and bees I guess I need to reconsider my next year's nuc and queen prices???

I might also predict that 20% of folks going to the almonds will go bust due to failure to comply with contract.

curiously this suspension is after beekeeping folks typically have signed contracts for the almonds.

who will ultimately profit from this decision.... well the California Almond growers and the California lawyers.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

“Importation of honey bee queens and package bees from Australia is prohibited.â€

At least it is plain and simple English, not a bunch of legalese to try and understand.

I agree there will be some commercial beeks get caught short.

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Not just the commercial beekeepers, though they will be the most seriously effected, but were I wanting to introduce a strain of bees to improve hybred vigor--well I can't. Little in the US hasn't been effected by pesticides, constantly being moved across the country, always being stressed by one thing or another, and we wonder why they are getting sick. I don't have a axe to grind on the commercial beekeepers, but what I have previously described all increases the likelyhood of decreased immunological responces--There is no quesswork about that.Constatnly moving the hives is exceedingly stressful on the colonies, never staying long enough to get all the different pollens in the area ( was once speculated that incomplete diet may be also a contributing factor ).
    And of course lets not forget that both trachael and varroa mites are asian mite--memory fails me exactly how did we get them if we weren't allowed to import bees of forgein sources, with limited execptions.
    Barry

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

barry writes:
    And of course lets not forget that both trachael and varroa mites are asian mite

tecumseh:
    good question and nosema carena is also asian I think??? a lot of the current disease/pathogen maladies seem (appear) to have got here pretty much at the same time. we managed to keep a lot of known problems out for quite some time. I (tin foil hat firmly in place) think free trade and lots of containers are likely part of how some of these problems arrived. tainted chinese honey and royal jelly could provide another pathway for as least some of our current problem.

does Canada have import limitation on honeybee? I would think they would, but frankly don't know.