Australian Beehives poisonings...

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by hlhart2001, Jun 21, 2012.

1. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yes...very frustrating...

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Someone went down a State Park road and sprayed 1600 hives with insecticide...???
    Why would any person go to all that time and huge expense??? Must have taken days of labor to do that, and cost a fortune in chemicals, not to mention possibly making the person sick from exposure. I just find it hard to believe that this was a deliberate poisoning on such a HUGE scale. Couldn't there have been an open source of contaminated flowers, nectar, pollen, or even syrup somewhere that was accessible by the bees?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Omie, it happened only on forestry and park land and many miles apart. It was definitely purposely and is thought to be competitive beeks.

5. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

I hope that the Australian authorities dedicate enough resources to investigate and make arrests. If it's competitors then the suspect list should be rather short.

6. pturley

pturley New Member

Any recent pesticides approved for use by the Australian Agricultural Ministry? This could get interesting...

It does seem like one hell of a lot of work to dose 1600 hives spread out over miles of territory.

7. Marbees

Marbees Member

I am with Iddee on this one, maybe I watched too many western movies with bad ranchers, cattle rustlers:???: