Avoiding power outage on the Farm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brooksbeefarm, Feb 23, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

As i posted on another thread that we are in the process of putting in a generator larg enough to run our home and farm buildings.I found out about this talking to a customer at the farmers market where i sell produce and honey, he has one and said they've had several power outages in there area, but didn't know anything about it unless there neighbor said something about it. That got my attention, so here goes. A bee club member came to my house to by honey and her and her husban are electricians, i ask her about this type of generator and she said they have installed several,and told me that a 200 amp generator would do what i wanted and that the one they liked was from Home Depot (Generac), but Lowes had a good one also.Now i'm new at this also,but i'll tell you what i found out, and it's not cheap, but i think will pay off in the long run.I think i'll have under $7,000.00 dollars total in it,it runs off propane gas,and a 525 (amps) cold cranking battery,after the generator is installed it will automatically come on once a week and run for 10 min. to keep battery charged:thumbsup:. If your power goes off there will be a 10 second delay and the generator will kick on.The utility co. came out and approved it and drove a ground rod, i ask about the danger of back feed and was told the unit had safety measures built in it fore that.Thats all i know for now, the ice is about all melted off so i'm looking for the gas co. and electrician this coming Monday, but they have rain or snow in the forcast for Monday:???:.Greg,or any of you,if you need to know more, ask and i'll find out for you, it might be something i need to know also. Jack

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I figured I'd have to get an LP tank since we don't have gas lines out here. But 10 min/week and rare power outages would not be too bad on the fuel. I don't think LP gas goes bad over time.

I have looked at the ones on the Lowe's website, but just enough to know I want one one of these days. :) Since I bought a couple of steers last fall and had to buy another freezer to hold all the beefl, a power outage would really be bad news.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Where i'm at on the end of the line, we have quiet a few power outages. I'll be turning 75 next month and dragging that little generator around and hoping it will start when you pull the rope is getting a little harder every year.I like the idea that if the power goes off i know i won't have to worry about the deep freezer, hot water heater, cook stove, furnace, or the cattle getting water. Now that will be a good feeling.Also propane is cheaper than gasoline for the little generator,that you have go out every 3 or 4 hours to refill and check the oil and restart in freezing weather. Jack

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I helped my cousin put a back wire in to his house. He has a Miller diesel welder with 50 amp 220 volt electric output so he thought may as well have the wiring in place encase the power goes out just have to move to next to the house and plug the house panel in. not enough power to run every thing but more then enough to keep the lights on, run the water pump, keep the fridge and freezer cold,and keep the furnace running.
    The 10 sec delay is used to stop the back feed it allows the power to drain from any charged capacitors before reapplying power. They us double magnetic switches and wire them so that it is impossible for both switches to be engaged at the same time.

5. Crofter

Crofter New Member

There are some crude workarounds for makeshift gen. connections that many people will say are safe but surely are not. Having the utility company's approval assures you are getting the right advice. Common sense or internet advice or from the clerk at the hardware store, just doesn't cut it!

It sounds like you will have a nice installation Jack. With LP gas you dont have the old fuel fouling problem with gasoline standby generators that might see infrequent use and fail to go when you need them most. Some insurance companies will give a discount if you have emergency standby power.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks Frank, i'll check into that. Jack

7. kebee

kebee Active Member

brooksbeefarm do you have an update on your power generator, have they hooked it up yet, I guess the weather has been to bad for them to do anything, be sure to let us know, kind of interest in one myself.

kebee

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

They got it hooked up last Tuesday:thumbsup:.I don't get a discount on my insurance (State Farm Inc.) but it's not going to cost me anymore, it's covered under my policy. The electrican had to call a code number in to the company to activate it? i don't have a clue why, unless it's protection against theft?( the electrican didn't know either?) It is set to start up every Monday at 1:pm and run for 10 min. to keep battery charged up. The generator is a 90 amp,kind of wish i'd got a bigger one, but the electrition said i should be alright if i don't start the Welder up when it's running everything else.:???: I've not figured up the cost of every thing yet but i think it will be under $7,000.00. Already the peace of mind is worth it. Jack