Award of first Beekeeping Merit Badges

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Zulu, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

Some may know, or remember that I had decided to run a Scout beekeeping program last season

Tonight we had an honor council for two new Eagle Scouts and also awarded our years awards for the rest of the boys, I am proud to say we awarded our first two Beekeeping merit badges. The scouting sw still has it listed so our troop decided to formally record the badges and my wife has copied and made new embroidery badges.

5 more boys just have one task left.

My mentors and I made the boys do all the tasks that the 1984 Beekeeping merit badge asked for. Which started with building hives, introducing a new package , hive management, and finally extracting their honey.

We already have three new boys asking to join in this year.

4 families started keeping bees, 3 still have their hive/s active as of this weekend. The 4th lost his at end of season - absconded with 14 frames full of honey still on the hive but will take a swarm if available this spring to give it another go. Two new adults asked to be included tonight.

So in summary, a small project has been tremendously successful..

Thanks again for the help Iddee and Jacobs

2. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Congrats. I have really enjoyed the merit Book you prepared.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Slice of pie for Zulu. :clapping:
    You have done well and done the beekeeping community proud!

blueberry-pie-slice.jpg

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Great work getting them started at a young age. skills they will have for a life time.
    history 4.jpg
    Of the young beekeepers in this 1950's photo of the 4H club John Stan, Ernie Fuhr (until he past away) and Bill Parchomchuk all are still actively keeping bees. John has around 500, Ernie ran 3000 in the Fort St. John / Peace River area and bill still has 100 and this daughter and son in law are keeping bees and slowly inheriting her dads hives. Leo their mentor kept bees till his death and many starting beekeepers used his honey house to extract their honey. His wife Grace rented the use of the honey house out for many tears after Leo died. Grace also looked after the honey division at the fair for many many years at least 30.
    Interesting side note PerryBee is related to some of the people in this photo.
    Take a photo and lock it away in a time vault for 50 years and see how many are still using the life skills you've taught them.
    I managed to find this photo while putting a display together for the Armstrong fair celebrating 150 years of beekeeping in B.C.

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

Congratulations Zulu, great work :thumbsup:
    Great picture ApisBees, I can see it hangin' on the wall in Perry's HH.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Funny how time flies. Thanks for the photo Keith of Uncle Leo and company. :thumbsup:
    Also ironic, in that I am related to almost everyone in the photo named Fuhr, but am in no way related to the one young fello that shares my last name, Brandt! :lol:

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Zulu, I think the scouts owe you a merit award !!! :bow:

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Why is it that young folks in your picture look so much more wholesome than kids in a present day group picture tend to look? Could it be that my age is showing my inadaptibility to the newfangled way of doing things?

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

imho some folks have an impact on young folks way beyond anything they might ever realize!

I suspect this statement might be true of Uncle Leo and of Zulu???

10. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Good on you, Zulu. :thumbsup:

Walt

11. Zulu

Zulu Member

Thank you for the kind words, but I am only guided by the people in my life, and without Iddee, this probably wouldn't have happened.....

he deserves as much thanks, as does Jacobs who doesn't hang out here much, but was just as involved in the project.

They mentored me in beekeeping my first season, and helped with the boys as well , all through the project , in fact Iddee had to keep me at bay and remind me to let the boys do the work. :lol:

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

No problem---I second the motion to add Iddee's name to the "Deserves a Merit Badge" list. :grin: