Aweful smelling honey

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by Bens-Bees, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

When I checked on the hive at my house the day before yesterday I saw an opportunity to swap out one more of the deep frames (I have one deep box I'm trying to eliminate, but have to swap out the deep frames for mediums first, and I don't want to pull them if they have brood in them so I'm just putting the mediums in the middle, and pushing the deeps to the side, then when the bees fill them with honey instead of brood I'm pulling them out and replacing with more mediums in the middle). Anyway, this honey would have been left over from last fall... so I'm thinking it's probably goldenrod, but it was completely capped, so I'm sure it was cured... but it still smells horrible... like stinky gym socks. It tastes totally normal though, and hasn't made me sick so I don't think it's been spoiled by anything, it just has a fowl odor, and I didn't think goldenrod honey still had an odor once cured. What are your thoughts?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Goldenrod honey has been compared to gym socks by many, so I would think you are right.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I started some hives in a new location 6yrs. ago in late June (in a wooded area) and when i went to check them 2 weeks later, they had just about filled a med. super with honey that smelled like rotten meat. The smell went away after it was capped and it tasted good ? Hasn't happened sense but i still wonder what it was. :confused: Jack

4. SamgeeGamwise

SamgeeGamwise New Member

Hey just because it smells bad doesn't mean it doesn't have value! Think Limberger cheese!