Back again with my bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ajaz, Jul 10, 2013.

1. ajaz

ajaz New Member

Migration
    From kashmir province to jammu province......
    Tonight we are moving 225 hives:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Want to hear from you:)

Sent from my Micromax A116 using Tapatalk 2

2. ajaz

ajaz New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. BSAChris

BSAChris New Member

Hi Ajaz!
    What is the plant your bees are working on, and what are those cloth-looking things under the lids of the hives?
    I am always interested in how beekeeping is done in other countries.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Glad to see you back. Was wondering where you were.

5. ajaz

ajaz New Member

This is the season of carrot flowers....
    Moving towards on wild flowers tonight..
    [​IMG]

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks for sharing the pictures and the scenery with us ajaz.

I am guessing BSAChris that the cloth or more likely canvas acts as inner covers and somewhat closes off any gaps at the top of the box <more for issues in transportation than anything else. I commonly use the same idea (canvas) on single boxes that are divided two or three ways.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good to see you back Ajaz! :thumbsup:

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Ajaz, I took your silence as an indication that you have been very busy. I've been anxiously waiting to hear a report on how your season has been progressing. Good to see the pictures. Whereabouts in India are you now with your travelling hives. How has your honey yield been coming along?

9. ajaz

ajaz New Member

Dear
    This year was very bad for me
    Only got 15750kgs from 450 hives.....
    Year completed .now going to start again with wild flowers ...
    Bees are on feed from two months ...
    Will continue our feed for one month...
    At present I am in Kashmir(paradise on earth).
    On carrot flowers ...I am very frustrate ...
    Don't know why...this is my fourth year with bees...
    Bees are going down day by day...thought of giving artificial pollen but amazon.com didn't supply to my address anise oil.....beekeeping is great for you guys living in developed countries...
    For buying a smoker we have to move a 1000 miles.......
    No rates of honey ...
    Was reading international honey report
    According to our currency honey exported to U.S is @ rs 225 but we got only @ rs 78.....
    Oil prices are going high labours are demanding more landlords are charging higher ...transportation Oh my GOD ....
    Is there any country who supports me....
    I am leaving INDIA....
    Here is no facility ..........:banghead::thumbdown:

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Dear Ajaz,
    Firt of all, you need not call me "sir". Ef, is what most people who know me well call me.

Secondly: Your letter greatly saddened me. 35 kg as an average yield from a commercial hive is really disappointing. Most of the forum members are with bees as a hobby and whatever yields they receive makes them happy. They make their livlihhoods from other jobs and I would assume that for the large majority they have to finance keeping bees. The bees, if they do provide some income, really just cut their losses and don't make profits. If they had to make a real accounting of what the bees give them financially, they would probably leave the profession.

It hurts to hear of a beekeper who wants to but can't make a decent living from the profession. All of us here on the forum know just how much time and energy one has to invest to produce honey.
    I realize that this won't console you but probably the majority of the beekeepers on the forum have been reporting difficult seaasons and relatively low yields for at least the past two years. We keep reading of the large scale losses suffered by the really big honey producers and those who, like you, travel from place to place with their hives. Their love for the challenges and the way of life that bees require of them gives them great personal satisfaction, if not profits.
    But one can only suffer losses for a limited time before having to give up.
    I was looking forward to hearing of your anticipated wedding and the happiness that comes with building your own family and home, and instead feel bad learning of your overwhelming disappointment.
    Who am I to give you advice? If I could tell you that next year will be better, it would please me greatly to do so, but unfortunately, I'm not a prophet---just an optimist. Maybe it will be better, who knows?
    Just one attempt to give a word of honest advice: Don't fool yourself into thinking that somewhere else it is certain to be better. It might be better, but it could also be worse. How many of us merit spending time living in Kashmir, your paradise on earth?
    Cheer up. We all hope that your next yield will surprise you with its increase in size.
    [​IMG]

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sorry to hear of your low yields, but like anything that is related to agriculture it is a gamble. I wish you the best of luck next season!!

The farmer is the only person who buys retail, sells wholesale and pays shipping both ways. :lol: