backfilled: what to do?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, Jul 9, 2013.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

A little over a week ago I went to requeen a hive that never made much honey despite a nice brood pattern and lots of bees. When I opened it up I discovered lots of swarm cells but found the queen and removed her and cut out every swarm cell. Left it queenless figuring my new queen would fly away as soon as I let her out of the cage. She's banked in a nuc right now laying up a storm. Went into the now queenless hive last night to scrape out all the queen cells and they have backfilled and capped almost the entire brood nest with honey. I'm going to take advantage of this queenless hive chock full of bees that were about to swarm anyway and try raising some queens. Should I pull some of the honey frames out first and replace with bare foundation before adding my larvae? I'm not going to graft, I was just going to use the cell punch method for this go around.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Swarm Cells and back filled brood nest in July are signs they needed supers and room more than a requeening. Unless you are feeding sounds like they was bringing in the groceries. At this point I would extract some of the brood nest and replace into hive. I would have used the queen cells you knocked down to make up some splits. I have never direct released a queen into a hive. I am more worried about the girls killing her than her flying away. Anyhow I would go ahead and open up a the brood chamber and requeen

3. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

They had two empty supers with foundation, I even took capped honey frame and alternated with the foundation, wouldn't touch it.

I don't have my own extractor and I just brought the club extractor back last night :frustrated:

I am going to use the opportunity to try raising some queens for overwintered nucs still. It's not every day that you get a hive on the verge of swarming that is now purposely made queenless.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Interesting was you running an excluder. I dont put foundation on over an excluder.

5. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

No excluder.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Plastic or wax foundation?

7. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Wax. Was trying for a super of cut comb so used thin surplus from Dadant.

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

You did everything right. For some reason those bees didn't like the top box. hmmmm

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

One other thing that may have helped. Did you have a top entrance for the bees. Most times they should have moved up. Unfortunatly we havent been able to get the bees to sign up for this forum.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what riverrat said. top entry do not have to be at the very top of the stack... with a robustly populated hive you can have top entrance(s) anywhere above the brood nest.

I would guess that the extra boxes were put on a bit too late.... 'the girls' now have other ideas (which sounds way too much like swarming not to be swarming) and their collective mind will not be confused by you lately introduced scheme.

11. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

The first super (the one they filled had a 7/8" hole but they propolized it shut. I opened it back once and within a few days they closed it again.