Bad Bee Day

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Apr 12, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Went to check two bee yards last Monday,(these are 60 miles from home) # 1 bee yard, drove up to hives, got out and was stung 3 times before i got both feet on the ground:shock:.Figure something (skunk?) had messed with them during the night? Anyway checked all the hives and they are booming, should have taken supers with me. # 2 bee yard, found one dead out and seen another hive with no activity, all the other hives was busy, so i dropped the brick on the lid and looked at the top and bottom entrance to see if any bees came out (none) so i took the lide off thinking another dead out (wrong),:eek: i took one hit in the left eye lid and two on the side of left eye and some more on my back side as i ran to the truck.Well put my veil and jacket on and they were like yard #1 needed supers:thumbsup:.Decided i'd had enough and drove home with left eye slowly closing:sad:.Got home and got a chewing out for not wearing my veil and had to watch TV with one eye.Took two days but i look normal now, some days it dosen't pay to get out of bed.:???: Jack

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

Sorry to hear that brooksfarm, but mine talk me into always wearing a bee jacket and veil when I even think of doing anything to them, hope the swelling goes down quick.

kebee

3. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Brooksbee....OUCH! :shock: Please know I say the following with a chuckle, and from experience...I have always said, the only thing worse than getting stung is knowing you had the protective gear right there, but didn't use it! :doh: :razz: :grin: Sorry it happened!

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Jack, you must not like pie!
    I would surely have posted a slice if you had only taken the time to do the right thing. Take a picture of yourself and the stung area, and post it here.
    Heck, I might have even given you 3 slices, one for each sting.
    (Hope you're feeling better)

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ouch! But glad you are ready for supers.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

1-"got out and was stung 3 times before i got both feet on the ground:shock:"
    2-"i took the lide off thinking another dead out (wrong),:eek: i took one hit in the left eye lid and two on the side of left eye and some more on my back side as i
    ran to the truck."

3-"Decided i'd had enough and drove home with left eye slowly closing"
    4-"Got home and got a chewing out for not wearing my veil and had to watch TV with one eye."

.......:lol:

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

just like magic I just asked where was Jack and here he is.... well not really here, but you know here is one of his post.

Hey Jack how is your year going?

and a Jack snip..
    Took two days but i look normal now

tecumseh....
    I have always suspected that there are NO NORMAL beekeepers.

ps.. sorry to hear about you taking a hit.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks for the well wishes. The eye is back to normal and the odd thing is it never itched or got sore? After the wife seen i wasn't in any danger of loosing my eye she started sounding like my mom. You should always wear your veil, your old enough to know better, don't expect me to feel sorry for you, you could have lost an eye, blah, blah, blah. Then when the daughter called that night, she told her to bring the grand kids over to see grandpas funny face, they coudn't come because it was late and they had school in the mourning:lol:. My three brothers are coming down tonight to play cards (5 point pitch) and she will tell them about it, i'm sure they will feel sorry for me.:roll: Jack

9. Lburou

Lburou Member

I learned something last night, or at least learned it again.....Was on the way to pick up a swarm on a fence. Had to hurry before dark. I put the jacket on to drive the six miles. I heard a faint buzzing and telling myself it was outside the pickup. Next thing I knew, a bee was crawling in the inside of the veil. Then crawling onmy cheek. Then onto my eyelid. To my relief, it was one of my trained bees and it crawled back onto the inside of the veil. Moral of the story is that things happen even with the protective equipment on. ;)

10. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Trained bees....ha...I like it! :lol: