bad beekeeping 101 by the rat

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Dec 25, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I got a call last week I had a hive tipped over. Today was the first day I could get into the area to set it up. The ole girls wished me a very merry christmas. The hive had busted all apart and was wide open. We have had rain and snow since they had tipped over. I figured they would be dead. I get out there and I could see the cluster in the top deep. good and strong. put on a bee suit 45 degrees. Set the first hive body back on the bottom board. Grab the second hive body with the cluster in it and thats when it all went south. They was quick to point out I had forgot my gloves and smoker at home. I set the 2nd hive body on the first getting stung repeatedly on the hands and wrists. I walked out into the field to get away and pick the stingers out of my hands. I finally put my hands in my pockets of the bee suit as I walked to keep the bees off them and to my suprise there was my gloves. 20 or 30 stings on each hand later and 5 min or so removing stingers I got to go back in and finish closing up the hive. another lesson taught by the bees. :D

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Dumb bugs, they didn't know Santa had come to see them. :mrgreen: Jack

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

At least you weren't sweating in your suit on a 90 degree day :thumbsup:

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Funny how that works, I had a hive to open today and my smoker was in the other yard, and seems my hive was not very happy to see me either, after 2 trips inside to let them calm down I finished up and closed up, then went to the other yard to get what should have been in my truck in the 1st place :dash1: :frustrated: and I did get stung 3 times so literally I do feel your pain Rat :oops:

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Somehow I can't see you ever ending up with arthritis Rat! :shock:

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

not after today. One of these days common sense has to show up somewhere :D
    :beg:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Well, if I had thought about it, I would have told you in advance. You need a smoker when working bees. It makes them friendlier. :twisted: :rolling: :rolling:

8. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Yeah Rat. Check the kit before heading out next time. Even the man who does cut outs in cut offs works his bees w/ a smoker. That said, I've tried doing what you did too and relearned what I already knew.

Now let me see. Is the burner on the electric stove hot? The dial is on, but the burner doesn't look hot. OUCH!!

New Years Resolution time is coming. Resolve to always have what you might need handy when working bees, whether you use them at first or not.

Must not have been a Boy Scout?

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

sqkcrk said:
    "relearned what I already knew"!

:lol: :rolling: :rotfl:
    These lessons in particular often hurt more than the original one! :mrgreen:

10. Dbure

Dbure New Member

If you don't mind me asking, how did they tip over Rat? :eek:

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

This hive was across the road on an alfalfa field from a house with horses. There was hoof prints all around the area. Im thinking a horse got out and knocked it over. They was the ones that called me.

sqkcrk some of us are slow learners guess I should have paid more attention to the details in scouts :D

12. Dbure

Dbure New Member

If they check their horses for stingers I bet they can figure out which one did it. :D

:chased: