Bad Honey???

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Sep 23, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I put 14 hives in a new outyard the first week of July this year, they built up and drew out all the new foundation and have stored enough honey for winter.:thumbsup: They are hives i started from nucs and 3 are swarms i caught, most are 2 deeps and some are 1 deep and 2 med. hives. Three of them made a extra med. super of honey each that i took off, the problem is, the honey taste awful? All the frames that they drew out (in all the hives) has a bright yellow look? I've seen this in other outyards but the honey taste good, the only different type of trees and plants that i'm aware of in the area is the Hedge tree, also call Osage Orange tree, do bees work them? This honey is so bad that i will give it to weak hives for winter stores, Any of you seen this bright yellow wax in your hive? There may be something else out there they are working that is the cause,( this is a wooded, brushy area) i've never had honey i couldn't eat:shock:. Jack

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

How about leafy spurge? I have seen it overrun rocky bushy limestone land. It has a bad rep.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Frank,i guess i don't know what leafy spurge is? If it grows in Mo. it probably is on this land? alot of it you can't walk through it for the wild raspberry, black berry vines, sumac, cedar trees, and woods.Weaubleau creek is a 1/4 mile east of this yard, and the creek that runs through this property runs into it in wet weather. The hill across the branch (from my hives) the local people call, copperhead hill:eek: needless to say, i look under and all around the hives before i work them. Jack

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Never heard of bees working hedge around here. There is an area up in Wichita called Eastborough that Bullseye Bill and I have done a lot of cutouts. We have yet to do a removal that the honey tasted anygood. It horrable. We never have figured out what the bees up that way was foraging on.

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Take the supers with you to other yards and exchange frames of the bad tasting honey with frames pulled out of hives that are more palatable. The bees wont care about the taste.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I extracted 2 med. supers of the 3 (in a 5 gal. bucket) and tasted it before my wife bottled it,that's how i caught it.:eek: I still have one super left, that's a good idea ApisBees, think tha's what i'll do. Thanks. Jack

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Could feed 10 lb back in a pail feeder over the inner cover hole and steel a couple of nice frames of stored honey. To exchance a little more of the bad for good honey.
    When I use to get Knapweed honey in the hive I would rob the outside early honey from the brood boxes and replace them with frames containing Knapweed honey. This was one of the reasons for using standard size boxes for both brood and honey.
    How do you uncap and extract 2 supers before sticking you finger in and tasting the honey Jack?

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Found out at the club meeting tonight what they made the honey from:thumbsup: A friend from Taney co. said his hives are full of it this time of year, and they winter good on it. He called it Bitter weed, a short plant (shorter than riverbee:lol:) with a yellow flower, i've seen it up there and didn't know what it was and never seen bees on it? Rick said, ohh yes they do work it.I took a frame of it to the meeting with some plastic spoons and told members to dig in if your brave enough,:roll:Curiosity got the best of most them and i run out of spoons, most of them squeezed their face up, some said they had tasted worse, and some older keeps like tec, iddee,Walt, and several others on here that don't have taste buds anymore, said they didn't see anything wrong with it.:lol: Jack