Bad news in Canada

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by PerryBee, Apr 12, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Just received another notification.
    In Manitoba, a Small Hive Beetle along with larvae was found in the first shipment of queens from Hawaii.
    A find of SHB larvae was also found in the first shipment of Hawaiian queens to Alberta.

With the Manitoba situation, 500 queens were dispersed to two beekeepers. 1 live SHB was found in the packing box of the queen cages, 12 SHB larvae were found in the boxes and on some of the queen cages.
    In Alberta no adult SHB were found but larvae again was discovered in the packing boxes.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That doesn't sound good and likely to halt the shipments.

Do you have SHB up there yet?

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Up until last year there has been no SHB in Canada.
    There were two reports of detection, both along the U.S. border, one in Quebec and one in Ontario. The yards were quickly quarantined. They were only found in a couple of hives but they were quickly isolated and I am unsure what measures were taken to halt it (I have a guess though).
    This latest news is discouraging except for the fact that they are obviously watching closely.
    Nova Scotia is fairly isolated (access through the Tantramar marshes) as well, bees are not allowed to be brought into the province, even from other provinces. No tracheal mites here.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Those beetles are a real bother!! Glad to hear you don't have to deal with them or tracheal mites.........yet.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

It is very difficult to keep shb out of the queen cages. I think the attraction is the candy. They then lay in the candy plug and the larvae hatches very quickly and in large numbers. I am surprised they found only one larvae.

Do the powers that bee think a shb could survive a Canadian Winter?

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I was sent some additional info by m.s. and it appears that SHB has been found once before in the prairies but was unable to establish itself. An obvious assumption would be the winters there are fierce (and long). I would assume that if not by queen cages, eventually they will work their way north (if weather is not a limiting factor) and I highly doubt they will respect our common border (although our government might think so) :lol:

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Not a whole lot can be done since they can live just fine without bees at all and can fly 30 miles in a day.