Bad product: Oxalic vaporizor from Ukraine via ebay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lburou, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Lburou

Lburou Member

This so called vaporizer, sold on ebay, does not heat over 200F. In personal ebay communication, Seller said to raise the voltage to get the temperature where it needs to be and to use 'pure' oxalic acid which supposedly sublimates at lower temperatures. I asked him to change his description, he said he would. In the process, time expired for a dispute (my bad). I'm stuck with it, you don't have to be stuck with it. ​

WARNING: This device is junk.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Slice of Pie for Lee! :thumbsup:
    His contribution may help save others from the same misfortune.

pie 11.jpeg

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Has it been over a year??

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Quote from ad.
    "During processing, the bees must comply with safety requirementsin terms of eye protection and breathing of vapors of oxalic acid. Guarantee of unit - 1 year"
    [/FONT]

4. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I would like to add to this thread that the JB200 Electric Vaporizer, made by Heilyser Technology. Does work. I have used it to treat 10 to 12 hives for a total of 3 treatments each on one battery charge so far. battery is still going and OA is vaporized in under one minute. Not only that but if the glow plug every burns out it can be replaced.

Vaporizer_for_website.jpg

5. Crofter

Crofter New Member

From the current draw figures I can guess that the dud is away under powered. At least 100 deg F under required temperature. Also not enough dish effect to contain the melting OA (if it could melt it) The Heilyser unit DY speaks of is tried and proven design and as Daniel mentions uses a common diesel engine glow plug. Threre is mor than meets the eye to making a good vaporizer. If I counted the experimenting time before I had a good unit it would make the Heilyser unit look very cheap. I think Daniel would agree!

Thanks for the heads up Lee:wink:

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Item location: UkraineThere's your problem right there, OP, the Ukraine, like most foreign countries, uses 220 volts at the outlet instead of 110 like we use. The item probably works just fine overseas in a 220v wall socket.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ben, it says 12 V. AC or DC. I think it is battery operated.

The ad says it is warranted for a full year. Seems to me that is enough time to request a refund or replacement without going through ebay's complaint department.

8. Lburou

Lburou Member

I wrote to suggest the seller change his description to include their -off ebay- instructions to raise the voltage to 15 or 16 volts and that would bring it to temperature, they knew 12V would not bring it to range of 300F. Was looking for an alternative to the outdated business model marketing the Heilyser unit. I'm 65 and retired for 16 years, I can take the risk and survive when I lose the gamble. ;)

​I'm certain it is an inferior product and wanted to give my friends a heads up about it. :)

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

And I can appreciate that. I just wanted to bring up that one could likely get their money back if they weren't happy with it. I have traveled to different parts of the world and had many problems with the different electricals. What works there may not work here, or may need adaptations.

10. Lburou

Lburou Member

​Excellent points as usual Iddee. Its more important to me that friends here know this is a product that will not work on 12V and one would probably be better off to try another direction. :)ll

11. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Lee, if you don't see a worthwhile way of getting your money back you might make it work by insulating the bottom of the plate and the shaft; fiberglass covered winth aluminum foil. Worth a shot!

12. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I woudl certainly agree with the cost of making my own. I have a prototype that still is not working in my shop that cost more than the Heilyser. There is vale in the attempt though and I am still not done with it. I just finally had to get hives treated and not get a fire started.

13. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

This may be of interest to some members.

http://megaswf.com/file/12274

I have never used the product. I use the trickle method of applying OA.

14. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Oh, I thought it had a plug-in power supply.

15. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Second slice of pie. I think my vaporizer from Brushy Mountain Bee Farm just came. Need to open the hives and see if I need to buy Oxalic acid to go with it.

16. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I bought my last batch of Oxalic Acid from a yacht chandler. I think it is used for cleaning metal fittings.