Bad way to end the season

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Well, my season is just about over here... with the exception of a feeder refill or two I think the weather has turned too cold for anything else. I had a bad end to the season though, as a bear found one of my outyards and tore through it this past week. Only one hive survived the bear assault and resulting robbing from yellow-jackets, bumble-bees, wasps, and other bees as their hives laid torn apart and scattered everywhere. The one hive that did survive were the most aggressive from that outyard... so I think they sent that bear a runin' :thumbsup: . Still that outyard is going to be retired because there's little sense in investing in the equipment to fight off a bear at this stage in my operation. My money would be better spent on a bear tag and a new .30-06 ;) .

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

sorry to hear about your losses! I sure do hope we don't have to worry about bear here.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Mama Beek, just put bells on the hive. You already have the 30.o6.

Ben, sure hate to hear that kind of stories. Hope you or another hunter gets him.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Dang Ben I sure do hate to hear that. Did you get the one remaining hive to a safe location?

You going to the pot luck monday night, if so I will see you there.

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I'll add bells, maybe I'll add a bear to the freezer too!

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yeah I moved the last one down to my other outyard in Luttrell.

Oh man I'm glad you reminded me, I would have plum forgot again. You bet I'll be there.

My cousin-in-law has bagged more bears than anyone else I've even ever heard about. I might give him a call... either that or I'll just retire that yard for good... I haven't decided yet if it's worth the trouble, it's a long way from here and gas is expensive... but there's plenty of good hills with plenty of basswood and sourwood... and when I have a few hundred more hives, it might be worth having.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Another beek friend of mine takes a 16 foot trailer up on the plateau for the sourwood flow. He built a chain link fence enclosure just big enough to back his trailer into, drops it and closes the gate. I thought it was a pretty good idea, not sure if he has electric on it or not, but I would say yes.

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

You know... as bad as last fall was for me... it does kinda put me in a good position for sping... I now have lots of hive equipment ready to go plus this year's budget... I was kinda scrambling toward the end of the summer to find equipment to put bees in... this year I'll have plenty. It's kinda a nice feeling not being way behind schedule with building equipment and whatnot. I did have to clean and disinfect everything... but that only took a day.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Bens writes:
    You know... as bad as last fall was for me... it does kinda put me in a good position for sping...

tecumseh:
    spoken like a real bee keeper. very quickly most should learn that you take the good with the bad and there is no such thing in the bee world as a win-win situation. every thing bad has a silver lining if you just look long enough to notice what it is.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is what I have to say when something goes the wrong way on the farm..........."Welcome to farming". I think it has to be the biggest gamble there ever was since you have zero control over the outcome.

11. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Beekeeping, farming, ranching, raising children and self employment is not for the faint at heart. None of them promise easy money,sure outcome or a full nights sleep, guess thats why they arn't for everybody, those of us that do indulge find pride/enjoyment and satisfaction even when the end results are less than perfect. Jim

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good Lord Bsweet you nailed it, I ain't no rancher but do hit most of them.

beekeeper
    cattle and hay farmer
    four teenage girls
    fire sprinkler contractor

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I cannot present the idea fully here (since I am technicially limited) but at the North American Beekeeping meeting someone (right now I cannot remember who) presented an intersecting set theory display (you know two round circle where the intersecting area is shadowed in grey). The circle to the right was 'the set of' farmers and the circle on the left was 'the set of' crazy people and the shadowed area in between was bee keepers.