Bait hive

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by jwsbees, Sep 3, 2015.

1. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

I have an odd situation, maybe someone else has seen it before.
    I've gotten a fantastic hive from one of my bait hives. After taking it down I returned to get the ladder the next day. There were a lot of bees on the ladder so I put the box back up, thinking they were drifters. Of course they moved back into the box... The bees started building comb again, so I put the box in the yard next to their hive. Not only did they not move out, they are building and carrying pollen. I'm pretty positive there is no queen....

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't be so sure on the no queen. I would think maybe young virgin. I have yet to have bees pull something like this without there being a queen pulling the strings somewhere. My last queenless split has uncapped brood and not drone brood either, lots of uncapped brood. Unbeknownst to me there were 2 queens in the hive I split. When the bees are clustering and working, there is leadership

3. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Yep, appears to be some leadership... Guess I'll put some frames back in the box and see what happens. I'm concerned that it is to late in the year for them to survive. I'm in Virginia, zone 7. I use old deeps with medium frames for bait hives.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

If they don't build up and you have another weak hive you can do a newspaper combine, just remove the weakest or oldest queen. You will have a judgment call to make in a couple of weeks. If one of your queens decides to take off this littl ehive could be your ace in the hole going into winter.