Bald Bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ndm678, Jul 10, 2016.

1. ndm678

ndm678 Member

During an inspection I came across some strange looking bees that had absolutely no hair on them. At first I pegged them as old bees that had their fuzz worn off, but upon closer inspection they are completely bald and shiny. They don't appear to be sick or deformed. They can move around and fly like normal fuzzy bees.
    Genetic defect maybe?
    This hive started strong but has been struggling as of late. When I inspected I found no brood, no queen and almost all the available combs were filled with honey. I donated a couple frames of brood from another hive. One frame of mostly capped brood, one frame with uncapped larvae, eggs and an empty queen cell (in case they need some help).
    About an hour or so I came back to do a visual check. It appeared the bald bees were being dragged out flown off. Maybe they were old robbers? I put a robber screen on, just in case. In the evening I took off the robber screen to clean a pile (20+) of dead hairless bees blocking the entrance. This hive is plugged with honey, it doesn't appear they are being robbed.
    Any ideas?
    Maybe these bees are related to why the queen is missing?
    If it helps, I can post some pictures of these odd bees this evening.

2. cody1991

cody1991 New Member

Could it be bald faced hornets?

3. ndm678

ndm678 Member

DSC00263.JPG Not the greatest picture. From what I could find it appears to be Cronic Bee Paralysis. The bald bees appear to be the only symptom of this. I didn't get a clear path to follow for treating this. Most of what I could find suggest to re queen, which is already in process. I'll try to keep an eye on this hive.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

wow, that is a new one, thank you for posting

5. paint504

paint504 Member

I opened one of my hives the other day and noticed little black bald bees trying to rob some honey. I witnessed my bees kill two of them and watched as they flew the dead carcass off. They look like the same bees you have in the pic there.

6. NZbeeguy

NZbeeguy New Member

We quite often find dead hairless bumble bees in and around the hive...the bees kill them and pick all the hairs off for sum reason....rather amazing