Banking Queens

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Apr 26, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I got my 10 queens last thursday 4/21/11, i made up 6 nuc's so far, and still have 4 queens setting on my desk in the den. I give them water twice a day, but can't get into my hives to get brood because of the rain. :roll: It's rained for 5 days straight (wish i could share tec. and Walt) and i have kept them this way for 8 days before. I was wondering if there would be a limit in keeping them this way without harm to the queen. Each queen has 7 attendance with them and they are still alive.I soak a Q-tip in a cup of water and lay it on the screened cage to water them,well i just noticed something floating in the cup when i started to resoak the Q-tips, SHB, who would have thought. :eek: Jack

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would go in and pull 1 nuc, full suited and under a tarp, if needed. Then I would slide all four in under the frames, with both corks in the cages. They will feed all four and you can bank them for 30 days or more.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Jack writes:
    I was wondering if there would be a limit in keeping them this way without harm to the queen.

tecumseh:
    long ago folks brought bees to america in wood ships and the crossing required months, so the time frame is likely longer than many might think.

Iddee's 30 day is a good number. A queen bank need not be anything elaborate. An active queen below and a feeder above. Remove one to two frames in the center of the upper box and stand the introduction cages up against the frame. The feed is more insurance against cool weather than anything else. Just a splash every once in a while should be sufficient.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Had a break in the weather today, 65F with sunshine. :thumbsup: I dug out my queen banking frame with a solid board on the back and a wire across the front to hold the queen cages upright. Went to the bee yard and pulled three frames of brood and nures bees (They were a little hot after being shut in for 5 days) and put them in a five frame nuc with a frame of honey, i added a boardman feeder with 1 to 1 syrup.Went to the bee club meeting tonight and put the finishing touches on the clubs outing at my farm this saturday if weather permits, if not, it will be the following saturday. I may leave the banked queens in the nuc till then to show how to bank them.Thanks for the reminder Iddee. Jack