Barn swallows are eating my friend's bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

I've never run across this before. I've always had birds eating my bees, but just a few here and there and I never worried about it. But my friend Donna has a group of about 6 barn swallows who converge on her hives and for 4 or 5 hours at a time just swoop in and eat bees! Donna said she read on the internet that a barn swallow can consume up to 6,000 bees a day! That could made a serious dent in anyone's hives! Does anyone have any ideas how to discourage them and make them go away? :beg:

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Get more bees, then let the swallows be. Or just wait a while... swallows are in major decline in this country, and in a few years they could be a rare sight.

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

bottle rockets and a few teenage boys..... the swallows will leave unharmed within an hour.

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

LOL, that sounds like the voice of experience Mama Beek...

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

it is, but not with swallows and bees. There was a really sweet little church way out in the country back home and a bunch of swallows decided to live there.....they are after all VERY social little birds and love to build their homes where there are lots of people (the birds singing along with the services was AWESOME!).

But after awhile the mess bothered folks and Pastor decided the birds had to go. He spent two entire days trying to chase them out and tossed everything that he could think of that wouldn't hurt the little birds at them to try to persuade them to "git". Finally he called me and another one of the ladies who cleaned the building and helped with the youth group and told us that he didn't care what it took but the birds had to go and not to kill them.....we sat down with the kids and two of our young men offered up the idea never believing that we would let them do it.

I still don't know what was funnier, the boys laughing their heads off because they were being allowed to shoot bottle rockets inside the church......or the look on the Pastor's face when I told him why I needed him to buy a couple gallons of paint ;)

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Great story MaBeek. Thanks for the laugh.